Thread: How much fat do you need?

How much fat do you need?

I try to keep a ratio of 50%/30%/20% of calories from carbs/protein/fat for daily consumption. When I'm dieting (as I am right now), I tend to be WAY lower in the amount of fat I ingest. Unless I purposely add in red meat and extra olive oil with everything, my levels are typically closer to 12-14%. I know fat plays a pretty crucial role in the proper absorption of some vitamins as well as certain brain function. I've yet to find an article that states with any certainty the minimum amount fat that the body needs in order to carry those out normally.

Does anyone know definitively if 15% of total calories coming from fat is enough? and/or what are some symptoms one may experience if they'e not getting enough fat? and/or is there any difference in the amount of needed by someone with SCI compared to the able-bodied?

*** c4/c5 incomplete *** Injured in Summer 2003 ***

I'm curious why you're worried about fat, perhaps you could explain more.

What is the purpose of your diet?

If it is to lose weight, there are many diets where people consistently lose weight by avoiding cards and eating almost nothing but fat and protein.

There are many fat soluble vitamins, but since you live in America, unless you are eating an incredibly restrictive diet you are unlikely to be deficient in any vitamins other than vitamin D (because no one goes out in the sun any longer, especially in Colorado in the winter in a chair).

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    I'm curious why you're worried about fat, perhaps you could explain more.

What is the purpose of your diet?

If it is to lose weight, there are many diets where people consistently lose weight by avoiding cards and eating almost nothing but fat and protein.

There are many fat soluble vitamins, but since you live in America, unless you are eating an incredibly restrictive diet you are unlikely to be deficient in any vitamins other than vitamin D (because no one goes out in the sun any longer, especially in Colorado in the winter in a chair).
    My goal is to lose weight as well as body fat. I am limiting my fat because in addition to the health benefits of a low-fat diet, it is my understanding that in general (and overly simplified), ingested fat not used for the things I mentioned in my OP is broken down to fatty acids and stored as... body fat, which I'd like to have less of. The high protein high fat diet you speak of sounds a lot lie the keto diet, which involves thrusting your body into a metabolic state where it buns fat for energy rather than carbs/sugar/glycogen. It sounds interesting, but I'd definitely have to do a bit more research on something so drastic before going down that path.

Anyway, I obviously don't want to overdo it on carbs or protein either, so I'm trying to find the right amount. And it's almost always sunny in my neck of the woods (even with the occasional cold spell or foot or 2 of snow), so us Coloradans are doing fine on Vitamin D =)

*** c4/c5 incomplete *** Injured in Summer 2003 ***

I read of a large study several years ago in where 3 groups of folks interested in weight loss were followed. The control group did nothing different. Second group cut calories back to 1200 or 1500 with few oils. 3rd group had same # of calories but 30% from oils. The group with more oils lost a tad more weight but reported much better energy levels.

Dave, im on the keto diet, which is basically low carb high fat diet. I eat more or less 80/15/5(fat/protien/carbs). I've have effortlessly lost weight. You might find this interview below very interesting, the main topic is FAT.

Canadian bacon is a fraud !!!!