Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying a Wheelchair Accessible SUV

Buying a Wheelchair Accessible SUV

Little bit of background. I was born with Spina Bifida (L2 para) Been a full time wheelchair user since I was 3. I got my driver license a few years ago. Been driving a Ford Focus hatchback with Hand controls and have a Tilite wheelchair. Well long term wheelchair use coupled with a weak core and I?m a very petite female (5ft 95 lbs). Lifting my chair on a daily basis is just too much strain on my back and shoulders. I am just starting to look into a vehicle that I can just roll right in and transfer to the drivers seat. I?m really not ready or think I need a van. I?m looking into some type of an SUV. Any tips how to make the purchase the most cost effective..I?m in sticker shock right now. Or an personal stories of things to keep a eye out that a sales person might not tell me? Can I take a used Honda Pilot or Ford Explorer and get it converted with a ramp after the fact? Total newbie in this territory looking for some guidance how to go about this purchase. My local mobility works has bee servicing my hand controls in my Focus. but they are totally in it fior making the sale and not looking out for my needs so I really don?t trust what they say when it comes to this purchase. Any help or advice how to get this started would be appreciated!

Sounds like you need a ramped mini-van, not an SUV, but here is a modified Honda Pilot that might meet your needs, although it is not configured for driving from your chair. You would have to transfer and install a transfer seat:

https://www.vantagemobility.com/mobi...s/honda-pilot/

Here is one that is actually a platform lift (not a ramp) that can for either a truck or SUV:

https://www.freedommotors.com/wheelc...elchair-trucks

None of these are going to be cheap. You might be able to find used with some searching.

(KLD)
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 02-17-2019 at 05:26 PM.
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Searching Google, "Wheelchair Accessible SUV," I found these links and more:

https://www.mcmobilitysystems.com/wh...cessible-suvs/
    http://www.blvd.com/wheelchair-van-c...ility-vehicles
    https://www.braunability.com/us/en/m...ccessible-suv/
    https://www.braunability.com/us/en/b...e-vehicle.html

Seems like a couple of the big converters do the job as well as smaller converters. Then, I searched our Care Cure Community site, but the search feature isn't very good. So, I searched Google for "Wheelchair Accessible SUV Care Cure Community", and didn't find anything that way. But, I think I've read a post or two within these pages on accessible SUVs.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by gjnl; 02-17-2019 at 05:35 PM.

blvd.com is a good site wheelchair disability facebook rollxvans.com is good to work with

I found out that minivans didn't save me much as far as effort first you have to roll up a ramp that is steeper than an ada ramp. then make a transfer and then spin around so you can drive. ATC makes a GMC terrain worth looking at. But as far as budget hard to beat Braun Chair topper (need folding wheelchair) mounts to top of vehicle and loads and stows your chair for you They are very reasonable but i hear they are getting a little hard to find. Good thing about them is you can put them on just about any vehicle. If you are interested i could see if i could find one. I have 30 + years experience with the Braun Chair topper

Maybe you can check the wheelchair accessible Kia Soul ? I think you can drive it from your chair. I don't know hoe expensive it is though

what about adapt solutions' options? transfer board and then have a lift pick your chair up? does require a minivan though

We are looking for a new vehicle right now too. SUV is first choice. The Honda Pilot is out for us because it only comes with a manual ramp as of right now. So, we are going to drive the Braun Ability Ford Explorer. Those really are the only two major players in SUV conversions with in-floor ramps.

Also, regarding the comment above about Rollx....they only have Dodge/Chrylser minivans so that wouldn't be of interest to you.
    FYI: We had a major incident with our current Rollx van that I will add details about in an upcoming post. It is very disturbing. I strongly suggest anyone in the hunt for a van NOT consider Rollx.

Quote Originally Posted by pete4sake View Post
    I found out that minivans didn't save me much as far as effort first you have to roll up a ramp that is steeper than an ada ramp. then make a transfer and then spin around so you can drive. ATC makes a GMC terrain worth looking at. But as far as budget hard to beat Braun Chair topper (need folding wheelchair) mounts to top of vehicle and loads and stows your chair for you They are very reasonable but i hear they are getting a little hard to find. Good thing about them is you can put them on just about any vehicle. If you are interested i could see if i could find one. I have 30 + years experience with the Braun Chair topper
    If you get a minivan conversion with a "kneel" feature, the angle of the ramp is greatly decreased.

Conversion SUVs have less space than minivans. Why bother?