Thread: Interstim?

Interstim?

Can someone please define Interstim therapy?

Interstim is rarely appropriate for those with SCI/D for bladder management. In theory, it can reduce bladder spasm, but it cannot be used to initiate voiding or bladder emptying. If you do a search on our forums, you may find others who have had a trial placement, and decided to not go ahead with the implant, or decided to have the implant removed or turned off:

https://www.medtronic.com/us-en/pati...therapies.html

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

i had it and as KLD has said had it removed. didn't work at all.
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

It is used on those that have a bladder contraction, usually very incomplete like an AIS D But the input I always got was that yes it helped my bladder some but it really helped my bowels!.

There is research now on interstim like therapy and what they are proposing is stimulation to get the bladder to contract and stimulation - low continuous to keep the bladder able to fill. I think this was recently published or will be published soon. Michael Kennelly, SCI Urologist is one of the researchers and doing quite a bit of new things with the SCI bladder. Those that have an underactive bladder- no contraction at all- I don't think are candidates.
    CWO
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.