Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Thoughts on Getting a Colostomy

Quote Originally Posted by MFelg View Post
    You'll typically have a nurse who will follow you for a while and you can address your concerns with her. It was life changing for him.
    You should have a consultation with a CWOCN or enterostomy therapy nurse prior to having this surgery, and they should also teach you how to manage it and help you find the right appliances and assist with trouble-shooting after the surgery as well. Not all ETs or CWOCNs are female!

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

The only drawback i have had. But gladly got the colostomy because it really made my life a whole lot easier.
    I put on a lot of weight. And the one problem is I can't be on an empty stomach because then my bag gets full of gas. And gasx does not help.

GasX helps with stomach, but not bowel gas. You might try Beano, or medicinal charcoal for that. Are you using an appliance with a vent?

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    GasX helps with stomach, but not bowel gas. You might try Beano, or medicinal charcoal for that. Are you using an appliance with a vent?

(KLD)
    Thank you for the tips. Because that would be great if one of them worked for me. I will try them.
    And yes i use hollister bags with vents and they don't help at all.

I'm only months into mine. So far its the best thing I've ever done myself! It's gonna make some noise, but farts make noise. I've noticed no smell at all but I've definitely noticed the freedom!

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...tomy-questions

why do nu think u gained weight after it? just curious. i would think it would be opposite
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRainman View Post
    The only drawback i have had. But gladly got the colostomy because it really made my life a whole lot easier.
    I put on a lot of weight. And the one problem is I can't be on an empty stomach because then my bag gets full of gas. And gasx does not help.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I would also recommend that you look at some of the previous posts. They are chock full of good information.

ckf

In regards your original question about Gas:
    - You'll quickly discover the foods that will cause gas, so you can avoid them if you're going to be in the office
    - If you're in a meeting and a bit self-conscious, cross your arms over your belly. A bit of light pressure on the stoma seems to help
    - With the above in mind, you can purchase a 'muffler' with Stealth Belt that will help suppress noise, and the wraps from ostomy secrets seem to help
    - The charcoal filters in the Coloplast Mio seem to work. I've never had an issue yet.

I don't use an abdominal binder, but I have to think that you could just cut a hole in one. I'd wait until well after the surgery though.