Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Thoughts on Getting a Colostomy

First Thoughts on Getting a Colostomy

I'm a c6/7 complete quad, 10 years post. Right now, I do bowel program 3x per week, on my side. It takes roughly 2 hours from start to finish. I must say, I have pretty good results. At worst, maybe once every 2 or 3 months I get the snot that comes out during the day, but no stool. However, my dad does my bowel program and he is getting older. I feel its unfair to keep him from traveling, so that he can do my bowel program. Also, I start a full-time job in the summer, where I can be working long hours. I'd die if I ever had a bowel accident at work. I'm very paranoid about that.

So I am at the very early stages of thinking of a colostomy. I hear it makes life a lot easier and gives you more free time. But I'm worried about loud gas noise at work or a smell from just wearing a bag. I'm also worried about an abdominal binder. I never get up without one, which is why I never got a belly. I've read nurse comments about cutting a hole in a binder for the colostomy site. My binder currently rides up on me, so I think that might cause pressure on the stoma. Do any of you wear binders with your colostomy?

I'm just looking for any general advice/comments/thoughts. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Nowhere Man View Post
    I'm a c6/7 complete quad, 10 years post. Right now, I do bowel program 3x per week, on my side. It takes roughly 2 hours from start to finish. I must say, I have pretty good results. At worst, maybe once every 2 or 3 months I get the snot that comes out during the day, but no stool. However, my dad does my bowel program and he is getting older. I feel its unfair to keep him from traveling, so that he can do my bowel program. Also, I start a full-time job in the summer, where I can be working long hours. I'd die if I ever had a bowel accident at work. I'm very paranoid about that.

So I am at the very early stages of thinking of a colostomy. I hear it makes life a lot easier and gives you more free time. But I'm worried about loud gas noise at work or a smell from just wearing a bag. I'm also worried about an abdominal binder. I never get up without one, which is why I never got a belly. I've read nurse comments about cutting a hole in a binder for the colostomy site. My binder currently rides up on me, so I think that might cause pressure on the stoma. Do any of you wear binders with your colostomy?

I'm a C5 complete quad. After 17 years, I got a colostomy last summer. I just got back from a 4-day trip to Las Vegas. I would not have been able to do that without the freedom given to me by the colostomy. I wasted a lot of years and wished I would have done it sooner.

Just curious about why you don't do your bowel care upright (on a commode)? In general, this will half the time required for bowel care. At C6/7 you might be able to use a suppository inserter and dig stimmer independently. Have you ever tried?

What kind of binder are you using?

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

c6c7 absolutely freedom 3 minutes u done if that went down Colorado rive a week very primitive piece of cake I live alone no problem going on 13 years love it freedom fyi 68old

I'm a c7 incomplete and had a colostomy just over a year ago. The quality of life improvements have been significant for me, and if you search through many of the threads on the forum you'll hear this from many people.

My father recently got a colostomy bag (because of colitis), however he too was reluctant for the same reasons, and some others. I can tell you there are never any odor issues, whether at the dinner table or the living room, when I hug him, or when we sit down as a family. He works as a dentist (so he's in close proximity to people in the workplace), again with no noise issues or odor. The early days took some time to get the fit right (around the stoma) and the proper bag (there are different technologies). You'll typically have a nurse who will follow you for a while and you can address your concerns with her. It was life changing for him.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Just curious about why you don't do your bowel care upright (on a commode)? In general, this will half the time required for bowel care. At C6/7 you might be able to use a suppository inserter and dig stimmer independently. Have you ever tried?

What kind of binder are you using?

(KLD)
    I've tried going over a commode and it doesn't work. If I insert the suppository while in commode, it just pops out or for some reason I get bad results. I can't insert it then transfer naked, it would be a mess and bad for my skin.

I use a tetra abdominal binder. I think they're well known in SCI world. It rides up on my a lot, so I have to push it down several times a day. But it's the only binder that even semi-works. Have you ever seen anyone wear a binder with a colostomy on a daily basis?

Do you have guys have an issues with odor or loud gas? How often per day you empty your bag? Thanks

I change every time I need to . mine whistles

I use a tetra abdominal binder. I think they're well known in SCI world. It rides up on my a lot, so I have to push it down several times a day. But it's the only binder that even semi-works. Have you ever seen anyone wear a binder with a colostomy on a daily basis?
    Not sure which model of Tetra brand binder you use, but I like the Dale 3 or 4 panel abdominal binders, which are not only latex free, but also can easily have a hole cut into them to accommodate ostomy bags or SP catheters.

https://www.dalemed.com/product/abdominal-binder/

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.