Thread: Question regarding white floaters (bits and stringy) in clear urine.

Question regarding white floaters (bits and stringy) in clear urine.

First off hello! It's been years since I've posted. Almost 11 years since I found this wonderful resource at Care Cure Community.

My questions are this:

1.) I have a neurogenic bladder due to the aftermath of spinal cancer, thus I have to intermittent self-cath. I just finished up a round of antibiotics for a UTI. I get them about once a year. My urine is now clear, however, I still have some small white flakes (just a few) and some stringy looking white stuff (just a couple - looks like semen, but it's not i don't think) floating around. Typically, my urine is not super clear, nor is it super cloudy. Are these flakes and stringy things normal for people like us? It's possible I've always had them and just don't remember or didn't notice.

2.) For as long as I can remember since having to self-cath, if I let my pee sit in the bottle or don't clean it out after every use, it gets sort of these red / orange crystal looking dots on the side of the bottle. If I don't clean for a long time, it's like a plaque? Is this bacteria or something else? Is there urine residue that will build up? Is this bacteria that's inside of me, or is created from the outside and elements of the urine?

3.) Cipro. This stuff kicks my butt. I take it, but I get terrible anxiety and nervousness when I take it usually a few days in. Sometimes I have to take a dose break. I should call my doctor, but I don't, because I want to finish the course.

Any insight or opinions would be appreciated.

Thank you so very much for your time and consideration.

Peace and God Bless....
    Shane

Quote Originally Posted by shaner View Post
    First off hello! It's been years since I've posted. Almost 11 years since I found this wonderful resource at Care Cure Community.

My questions are this:

1.) I have a neurogenic bladder due to the aftermath of spinal cancer, thus I have to intermittent self-cath. I just finished up a round of antibiotics for a UTI. I get them about once a year. My urine is now clear, however, I still have some small white flakes (just a few) and some stringy looking white stuff (just a couple - looks like semen, but it's not i don't think) floating around. Typically, my urine is not super clear, nor is it super cloudy. Are these flakes and stringy things normal for people like us? It's possible I've always had them and just don't remember or didn't notice.

2.) For as long as I can remember since having to self-cath, if I let my pee sit in the bottle or don't clean it out after every use, it gets sort of these red / orange crystal looking dots on the side of the bottle. If I don't clean for a long time, it's like a plaque? Is this bacteria or something else? Is there urine residue that will build up? Is this bacteria that's inside of me, or is created from the outside and elements of the urine?

3.) Cipro. This stuff kicks my butt. I take it, but I get terrible anxiety and nervousness when I take it usually a few days in. Sometimes I have to take a dose break. I should call my doctor, but I don't, because I want to finish the course.

Any insight or opinions would be appreciated.

Thank you so very much for your time and consideration.

Peace and God Bless....
    Shane
    Likely the flakes and white stuff are sediment and mucus. Since you have recently finished a course of antibiotics it is common for the intestinal tract to shed different cell types and various debris, bacteria, white blood cells, and protein. The flakes may also be tiny bits of kidney or bladder stones that can be passed without pain. If these flakes persist, you might consider being evaluated for stones.

Red/orange/brown crystals in the urine may indicate the presence of kidney stones or can be a result of a protein rich diet. Have you been seeing the crystals for a while or just now with this recent infection? If this is more recent, it may be another reason for getting an evaluation for kidney stones.

On the subject of Cipro...when you noticed symptoms of a urinary tract infection did you submit a specimen of urine for a urinalysis (UA) and a culture & sensitivity (C&S)? If you did was Cipro found to be the only most effective antibiotic? I doubt that is the case, because almost always there are other drugs that should be used before Cipro is prescribed. Cipro is a very powerful, broad spectrum antibiotic that should only be used in cases where other antibiotics have failed. It generally should not be used as the first line of defense against an infection. Unfortunately, many doctors seem to automatically prescribe it when a patient presents with symptoms of a urinary tract infection. The problem is that bacteria can become resistant to Cipro if constantly used as the automatic choice, without paying attention to the results of a C&S. Then when you really need Cipro, the bacteria is resistant and then this powerful drug will be of no help. So in the future, always get the UA and C&S before taking any medication. If you are extremely uncomfortable with the symptoms, you may take Macrobid or possibly Bactrim after a specimen is taken and before the results of the tests are available.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Likely the flakes and white stuff are sediment and mucus. Since you have recently finished a course of antibiotics it is common for the intestinal tract to shed different cell types and various debris, bacteria, white blood cells, and protein. The flakes may also be tiny bits of kidney or bladder stones that can be passed without pain. If these flakes persist, you might consider being evaluated for stones.

Red/orange/brown crystals in the urine may indicate the presence of kidney stones or can be a result of a protein rich diet. Have you been seeing the crystals for a while or just now with this recent infection? If this is more recent, it may be another reason for getting an evaluation for kidney stones.

On the subject of Cipro...when you noticed symptoms of a urinary tract infection did you submit a specimen of urine for a urinalysis (UA) and a culture & sensitivity (C&S)? If you did was Cipro found to be the only most effective antibiotic? I doubt that is the case, because almost always there are other drugs that should be used before Cipro is prescribed. Cipro is a very powerful, broad spectrum antibiotic that should only be used in cases where other antibiotics have failed. It generally should not be used as the first line of defense against an infection. Unfortunately, many doctors seem to automatically prescribe it when a patient presents with symptoms of a urinary tract infection. The problem is that bacteria can become resistant to Cipro if constantly used as the automatic choice, without paying attention to the results of a C&S. Then when you really need Cipro, the bacteria is resistant and then this powerful drug will be of no help. So in the future, always get the UA and C&S before taking any medication. If you are extremely uncomfortable with the symptoms, you may take Macrobid or possibly Bactrim after a specimen is taken and before the results of the tests are available.
    Thank you so very much for the detailed and thorough response. I'm extremely appreciative. They always do a CR before prescribing, however, I've never asked if there is anything else I can take. I go to Cleveland Clinic urology, which is supposed to be really good, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't discuss it with my urologist. I'm allergic to Bactrim, but, their allergy department said they can desensitize me to the allergy for short periods if I need it. I will ask.

Thank you again for all your insight and help.

God bless....

Just another thought. Urinary tract infections (UTI) in people with neurogenic bladders are considered and should be treated as complex not simple UTIs. As such, a 12 to 14 day of antibiotics should be prescribed rather than a three, five or seven day coarse as is often in in simple UTIs.

Not true7 days is fine u less it is a repeat infection that did not clear with 7 days then you should have a 10-14 day course. Like those with kidney or bladder stones, prostatitis ir epidufimitis which might need longer. Just don’t use nitrofura toon as it is for “simple” UTI,s. The majority of people clear with 7 days. Unless this is your history no provider will provide you that many days without a definite reason. Re: cipro- I have never had anyone tell me about anxiety but people react differently to different meds. Tell your provider and they can choose another antibiotic that the organism is sensitive to-unless cipro is the only choice.. for a pill anyway. CWO

Cipro is now considered a very potent (and dangerous) antibiotic that should only be prescribed under limited circumstances. Tendon rupture is one side-effect and it can occur months after taking it. Kidney damage is possible (I suffered this one). I don't mean to be alarmist- doctors developed a habit of prescribing it as a first option for UTIs many years ago, and many have not caught up to know the inherent dangers. It has been a wonderful drug, but not for everyone. Patients too often do not report their difficulties. 'Search' Cipro side effects to see if your problems fit anything you see listed, though the fact 'anxiety' is not listed does not mean others have not had the experience without reporting it. then there is the second level where doctors have to forward the information to the CDC before it will ever show up in a list. Absolutely trust your own thinking on this.

In 2015 I developed nephritis after a 10 day course of Cipro and was quite sick for 4 months. I'd never had difficulty with it before, and since that time I searched out help using Traditional Chinese Medicine formulae until I finally found 2 things that work to keep me healthy.

Also, I see a lot of mucous in my urine at times.

Thank you again gjnl!

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Not true7 days is fine u less it is a repeat infection that did not clear with 7 days then you should have a 10-14 day course. Like those with kidney or bladder stones, prostatitis ir epidufimitis which might need longer. Just don’t use nitrofura toon as it is for “simple” UTI,s. The majority of people clear with 7 days. Unless this is your history no provider will provide you that many days without a definite reason. Re: cipro- I have never had anyone tell me about anxiety but people react differently to different meds. Tell your provider and they can choose another antibiotic that the organism is sensitive to-unless cipro is the only choice.. for a pill anyway. CWO
    Thank you SCI-Nurse. I sincerely appreciate your input. This forum and those who take the time to participate are truly an asset to the SCI community. Peace and God bless....

Thank you Tetracyclone .The Cirpo really takes its toll on me. I will discuss options with my urologist. Thank you again for taking the time to respond with such a thorough response. I sincerely appreciate it. Peace and God Bless....