Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 28 of 28

Thread: transferring to dental chair

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by xsfxsf View Post
    Do you find the chair jiggles and moves? I have tilt/recline as well, but it's not nearly as stable as a dentist's chair, not even close. I could handle a hygienist maybe but I would be very worried about a tooth procedure like a filling or extraction.
    Since having dental procedures in my wheelchair, I've only had every 6 months prophylaxis, xrays, and bonding. I may reconsider if I should need more extensive work done and then NL can transfer me to the exam chair. Meanwhile, simple dental work in my chair is very comfortable.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by xsfxsf View Post
    Do you find the chair jiggles and moves? I have tilt/recline as well, but it's not nearly as stable as a dentist's chair, not even close. I could handle a hygienist maybe but I would be very worried about a tooth procedure like a filling or extraction.
    My Permobil chair is rock solid. I had a crown put on a couple of weeks ago. The dentist said the chair was great. He is tall and with my elevating seat he could raise me as high as he needed.

  3. #23
    KLD if you are reading this:

    Is there any physical justification for someone like me (T3) with full arm and shoulder strength to (a) have trouble with the transfer and (b) have so much trouble with transfer boards?

    I can't understand why I have so much difficult transferring. (Well, actually the T3 thing was measured 7 years ago. It's possible it crept up a bit I guess, it had before, but I don't notice increased difficulty in any other transfers, just the dentist chair).

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by xsfxsf View Post
    KLD if you are reading this:

    Is there any physical justification for someone like me (T3) with full arm and shoulder strength to (a) have trouble with the transfer and (b) have so much trouble with transfer boards?

    I can't understand why I have so much difficult transferring. (Well, actually the T3 thing was measured 7 years ago. It's possible it crept up a bit I guess, it had before, but I don't notice increased difficulty in any other transfers, just the dentist chair).
    I'm not trying to speak for KLD but my answer is you don't need justification. If you can't transfer then you can't transfer. I'm not saying not to try working on your technique. T3 is a high injury, you probably don't have trunk muscles, this definitely makes transferring more difficult. I'm a C5/6 incomplete, my problem is the opposite of yours. I have good trunk stability but very little arm strength. There's all kinds of reasons someone may have problems transferring. You don't need to justify it to anyone.

  5. #25
    I have my dentist remove their dentist chair headrest then then put it back in with the pad facing the opposite direction. I then back myself up so that my head touches the headrest. Their chair and the headrest has angle and height adjustments to make it comfortable. The headrests come off easily as in this video.


  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by xsfxsf View Post
    KLD if you are reading this:
    Is there any physical justification for someone like me (T3) with full arm and shoulder strength to (a) have trouble with the transfer and (b) have so much trouble with transfer boards?
    I can't understand why I have so much difficult transferring. (Well, actually the T3 thing was measured 7 years ago. It's possible it crept up a bit I guess, it had before, but I don't notice increased difficulty in any other transfers, just the dentist chair).
    Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    I'm not trying to speak for KLD but my answer is you don't need justification. If you can't transfer then you can't transfer. I'm not saying not to try working on your technique. T3 is a high injury, you probably don't have trunk muscles, this definitely makes transferring more difficult. I'm a C5/6 incomplete, my problem is the opposite of yours. I have good trunk stability but very little arm strength. There's all kinds of reasons someone may have problems transferring. You don't need to justify it to anyone.
    I agree with wes4dbt. There are many reasons why you may not be able to do this transfer without assistance. Short arms, weak or painful shoulders, lack of trunk muscles, insufficient hip range of motion (ROM), etc. are just a few. I wouldn't beat yourself up over it...it is not a personal failure! It is something that you will need to develop a work-around for in situations such as this. The transfer sling that mrb posted above is one option for many, as long as the dentist has sufficient staff to lift you with it.

    (KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by xsfxsf View Post
    KLD if you are reading this:

    Is there any physical justification for someone like me (T3) with full arm and shoulder strength to (a) have trouble with the transfer and (b) have so much trouble with transfer boards?

    I can't understand why I have so much difficult transferring. (Well, actually the T3 thing was measured 7 years ago. It's possible it crept up a bit I guess, it had before, but I don't notice increased difficulty in any other transfers, just the dentist chair).
    I would continue practicing with transfer board, always Pledge board to reduce friction. Also, when you have anxiety about a transfer you are less likely to fully commit to it. A quad friend of mine who does great transfers once told me, "Where the head goes the body follows." In other words commit with head movement to the target. The hygienist should spot you closely the whole time.

  8. #28
    Senior Member tarheelandy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Athens, Ga
    Posts
    544
    Blog Entries
    2
    I'm in a manual chair and I use a transfer board. My dentist has a larger chair with an arm that comes up so I am able to use it. On the regular size chairs it CAN be challenging because your front casters may slide up onto the base of the dentist chair which can make your transfer unstable. If they have an "operating dentist chair" like I use, it might work better for you.

Similar Threads

  1. transferring into power chair
    By crags in forum Equipment
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-26-2011, 08:30 PM
  2. chair rolls away while transferring to car
    By jschism in forum Equipment
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 10-06-2010, 11:18 AM
  3. dental chair designed for wheelchair patients
    By Jeff B in forum Equipment
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-16-2009, 01:12 PM
  4. Transferring into a car with a folding chair
    By Lazlo in forum Equipment
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-03-2007, 12:51 AM
  5. Breaking down the chair after transferring
    By lnuxhakr in forum Care
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-31-2004, 07:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •