Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: transferring to dental chair

transferring to dental chair

Does anyone else have difficulty transferring from the wheelchair to a dentist's chair? Every year it seems harder and harder for me to do, at this point I'm worried about the safety.

The problem is that the dentist's chair has a big hump at its base that prevents the wheelchair from getting close to it, leaving a big gap between the wheelchair seat and the dentist chair seat. Also, the dentist chair does not tilt, so it is at a funny angle.

I never learned to use transfer boards. I tried a few times in rehab but couldn't get the hang of it.

A long slide board (like used for getting in/out of a car) can be helpful for these types of transfers. Keep in mind that your dentist is under an ADA mandated obligation to find a way to transfer you into the chair or have other equipment modifications available so that you can be provided the same level of care as an AB patient. This may mean getting a different style/model of dental chair installed.

At the dental clinic at the VA hospital where I worked, we installed ceiling tract lifts into several of the dental clinic rooms, and also were evaluating one of these systems which can allow you to remain in your manual or power wheelchair (once the dental chair is removed):

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I'm starting to have the same problem. The hygienist said she could work on patients in a tilting power chair. I might eventually have to find an old tilting manual. But there is no head support, so that has to be figured out.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Here is another model similar to the one above. This one is made in the UK:

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Wow - nice device. Makes me wonder if someday dental work could be done in a person's home. This, combined with a portable dental tool cart might help those in wheelchairs who find it hard to travel to the dental office as well as transfer to the chair.

im t-10 para and have trouble as well a long board does help but its still a challenge for me
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

I have found dentists to be most the accommodating health care professionals. When I was no longer able to transfer to their chair from my manual wheelchair, they offered to lift me. They were experienced. After discussing related issues with me, they easily lifted me into and out of their chair. When I switched to a power chair with a reclining back, my current dentist works while I remain in it.. However, only one of his three treatment rooms can accommodate my chair in a manner that enables the power tools to reach..

Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post
    Wow - nice device. Makes me wonder if someday dental work could be done in a person's home. This, combined with a portable dental tool cart might help those in wheelchairs who find it hard to travel to the dental office as well as transfer to the chair.
    This is being done. See
    https://housecalldentists.com/services/

The only thing I miss about city is a dentist saw over there. The clinic had a room that they could use for folks with tilt and recline.
    Now it's transfer and watch as the assistant moves my chair away in rooms way to small at times that they move it to hallway.

My dentist and the hygienists can work on my teeth while I remain in my power chair with tilt/recline. I pull into the exam room and park the chair parallel with the regular exam chair. The rooms are small, but there is just enough room for the dentist and hygienists. Actually, one of the hygienists prefers the height adjustability of my chair over the exam chair. She has some trouble with her back and can stand rather than lean as she needs to do when she has to use the stool and the regular exam chair.