Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Roho cushions.

Denver, Colorado USA ---- C5/6 Complete 1985
    Quote Originally Posted by landrover View Post
    re: cushion sizes. Looking online it looks like I would need to order a custom sized, and turn it sideways. With a high profile doing so would not be an issue, correct?
    Yes, it will work the same sideways. But just make sure it's wide enough too. Personally, I don't even like it when there's a gap on the side and stuff can fall between.
    "The primary cause of unhappiness is never the situation but thought about it. Be aware of the thoughts you are thinking. Separate them from the situation, which is always neutral. It is as it is."
    --Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by landrover View Post
    Rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd post my ROHO question here. I am looking to order a new ROHO high profile cushion, as I feel my current one is too small (there is quite a gap between the cushion and the back of my knees. Also, there is about an inch of seat pan showing in the front). I am 6'4", with long legs, so I need more length than width re: cushion sizes. Looking online it looks like I would need to order a custom sized, and turn it sideways. With a high profile ding so would not be an issue, correct?
    I don't use and am not personally familiar with the Roho high profile cushions. I do use a Roho Contour Select cushion that measures roughly 16" (9 cells) wide by 18" (11 cells) length and it isn't a custom order. The contour select has a lowered ischial section in the center back, so it can not be rotated.

So I'm a bit in "no-man's land" when it comes to deciding on the cushion size. My current cushion is 11 cells X 11 cells. There is quite a gap between the back of my knee and cushion, and a gap on the seat pan. But if I add another cell, I believe that adds 2", which will put it close to being on the edge of the seat pan, and also very close to touching the back of my knee (though I still think there'd be a gap. Not sure which direction to go...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Blog Entries
    What is the seat pan size?
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

If your transfer board is made of wood it can splinter from just banging it up and you may not even know. My transfer board is a little rough on the edges. Simple solution is to use a cover on your roho and/or put the transfer board inside a pillowcase. A sharp edge may still stick through but you won?t have any problem with rough edges this way. I assume you?ll inspect daily for sharp edges (probably not goin to happen anyway) so you should be fine.

I have the 16 inch (9 cell) wide by 18 inch (11 cell) depth Roho Contour Select. My seat pan measures 15.5 inches wide by 20 inches deep.

The front of my cushion sits about flush with the front of the plastic cowling in front of the actual seat pan. I have about a 2 inch space between the back of the cushion and the back of the seat pan. My ischials sit very near the back of the cushion.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Hi Landrover,

The picture you shared looks like you can go with the extra row of cells (for more depth) with no problem related to the fit to the seat pan / wheelchair. I don't know if that means the front edge of the new longer cushion would hit the back of your knees or not. If your current 11 cell x 11 cell cushion has over a 2" gap between the front of the cushion and the back surface of your knee, you should be fine with the new size.

If you do go with the size that adds the extra row of cells, you will still be ordering a standard size ROHO Cushion. If you choose the single valve HIGH PROFILE, you would order a 1R1112C. If you choose the QUADTRO SELECT version, you would order a QS1112C. Both have the same US retail price. Feel free to contact me directly if you want to compare and contrast these 2 cushions to determine which one would be best suited for you.

Tom Borcherding
    tom.borcherding@permobil.com

Thank you so much Tom for your insight. I would continue with the High Profile. I do see on a familiar online site an upcharge of $41 for an 11 x 12 cell though. I'm attempting to go through my DME/insurance, but wondering how likely it is to be approved. The current cushion was covered approximately 3 years ago.