Thread: Lack of BMs & potential ulcers

Lack of BMs & potential ulcers

Hi everyone!

For the past month or so I have been experiencing really bad stomach/digestion problems and I was wondering if anyone could help. I have always had appetite issues (even before my accident) but ever since my appetite has been nonexistent, lately I cannot hold a lot of foods down

I built an iPhone app to track all my bowel activity, and over the past few months I only have 1-2 BMs a week, and the time in between I feel extremely bloated and thus it is even more difficult to get an appetite (thus eat and have a BM). I must admit that I have not been in the gym the past few months either (I do start physical therapy again next week). I saw a GI doctor last week and all he did was send me home with some samples of Linzess, which I took daily for the past week but stopped taking it yesterday.

I used to take Sucralfate daily, should I see another GI (as I might have more ulcers)?

(Edit: I have a TBI and incomplete T9/T12/L2 SCI)

Quote Originally Posted by mkm29 View Post
    Hi everyone!

For the past month or so I have been experiencing really bad stomach/digestion problems and I was wondering if anyone could help. I have always had appetite issues (even before my accident) but ever since my appetite has been nonexistent, lately I cannot hold a lot of foods down

I built an iPhone app to track all my bowel activity, and over the past few months I only have 1-2 BMs a week, and the time in between I feel extremely bloated and thus it is even more difficult to get an appetite (thus eat and have a BM). I must admit that I have not been in the gym the past few months either (I do start physical therapy again next week). I saw a GI doctor last week and all he did was send me home with some samples of Linzess, which I took daily for the past week but stopped taking it yesterday.

I used to take Sucralfate daily, should I see another GI (as I might have more ulcers)?

(Edit: I have an incomplete T9/T12/L2 SCI and TBI)
    How do you do your bowel program, i.e., digital stimulation, laxatives, stool softness, magic bullets, enemeez?

When do you do your bowel program, i.e., morning, night?

How often do you do your bowel program, i.e., every over day, every third day?

When you do eat, what do you eat?

Do you take any fiber supplements?

Do you have accidents in between programs?

I would also want to know your level of SCI, and what type of bowel you have (reflex or areflexive).

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Thanks for the replies! My level of injury is T9/T12/L2

Currently, I am not on a particular bowel program, nor is it regular. I have been recording my BMs for a while now, here is what I have for 2019 (link). I always eat breakfast around 8 AM and lunch around 1 PM, however, dinner is typically more up in the air depending on how my stomach feels (thus impacting my appetite). I used to take a fiber supplement every morning, as well as some stool softener at bedtime but as of 2019, I have stopped taking both. I do not have accidents in between, I have really bad bloating instead.

Edit: medications may play a large role in this, I currently only take Dilantin, Keppra, and Myrbetriq. I used to take 10-15mg of Ditropan every day, but I have stopped taking this medication in 2019 (will be getting Botox injections in my bladder next week). Non-prescriptions: I take 40mg of caffeine in the morning, and take as needed throughout the day (at most 200mg total).
    Last edited by mkm29; 02-13-2019 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mkm29 View Post
    Thanks for the replies! My level of injury is T9/T12/L2

Currently, I am not on a particular bowel program, nor is it regular. I have been recording my BMs for a while now, here is what I have for 2019 (link). I always eat breakfast around 8 AM and lunch around 1 PM, however, dinner is typically more up in the air depending on how my stomach feels (thus impacting my appetite). I used to take a fiber supplement every morning, as well as some stool softener at bedtime but as of 2019, I have stopped taking both. I do not have accidents in between, I have really bad bloating instead.
    Getting on a routine schedule for a bowel program will probably greatly reduce the bloating you are experiencing. It sounds like you are just waiting until you are really uncomfortable before you try to have a bowel movement. The basic elements of a bowel program are doing the program consistently, same time of day each time at regular intervals, say every other morning or evening. It is generally a good idea to attempt a bowel movement about half an hour after eating a meal.

The steps of a program include removal of stool accumulated in the rectal vault, insertion of a product to stimulate peristalsis, like a Magic Bullet or an Enemeez. The suppository or liquid should be inserted high in the rectal vault and close to the wall of the rectum. Allow 15-20 minutes, then perform digital stimulation. Digital stimulation may have to be done several to make sure the descending sigmoid colon is emptied.

You may find adding more fiber to your diet will help as well as taking oral laxatives like Miralax.

These Paralyzed Veterans publications may be helpful:
    http://www.pva.org/media/pdf/Summit2...elly%20130.pdf
    https://www.pva.org/CMSPages/GetFile...9-927304257326

Now about ulcers. Have you been evaluated and undergone tests for ulcers?

also, if you don't put anything in, your sure not got anything to come out...

What is the consistency of your stool? Hard, soft, liquid? Do you have to strain? You may need a stool softener ? Are you having any accidents or a lot of strai I g? If not then e emery or suppository may not be needed but you sound uncomfortable and I would recommend enemeez.. you can probably get free samples @ www.enemeez.Com. The reason I recommend that is because it is a more natural substance an not a chemical. Nightly or every other night would be best. CWO
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.