Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cipro 250 mg for uti

cipro 250 mg for uti

is 250 mg 2 times a day for a week seem right i had to go to urgent care saturday they gave me a scrip for cipro 250 mg nowthat i think about it i think my doctor usually gives me 500 mg for a week any thoughts
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

500 and 10 days IF! it's sensitive to Cypro.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Urgent care is a joke. My next door neighbor went cause he felt dizzy. They let him drive to the er and he was having a stroke.
    Art

Quote Originally Posted by wheelin 48 View Post
    is 250 mg 2 times a day for a week seem right i had to go to urgent care saturday they gave me a scrip for cipro 250 mg nowthat i think about it i think my doctor usually gives me 500 mg for a week any thoughts
    Neither the urgent care facility nor your physician are prescribing for a urinary tract infection correctly. Until the results of a culture and sensitivity (C&S) have indicated the type of bacteria and the most effective antibiotic, nothing should be prescribed, especially such a broad spectrum antibiotic as Cipro. Cipro is usually considered an antibiotic of last resort, when an infection doesn't respond to anything else. It is amazing that so many medical "professionals" haven't heard of antibiotic resistance.

If your symptoms are severe and you need medication immediately, Macrobid or possibly Bactrim can be prescribed until the results of the C&S are back, which usually takes about 3 days.

Did the urgent care center take a specimen of urine and submit it to a lab for a urinalysis (UA) and a C&S?

Definitely need 500mg worth.
    Any UTI and you’re self cathing.... bacteria is always nasty. When it’s not treated long enough and properly it’ll turn into some mutant bacteria from ESBL. I know first hand and know a few others it has recently happened too. I just kindly educate an unfamiliar SCI doctor to learning that SCI bladder is a complex situation and 15 days minimum of Rx is needed. 99% of time they agree and give me the script. If it were me, I’d save myself the hassle and call the immediate care Dr, explains the SCI bladder workings. I’d definitely get a UA and CS (lab work) of the urine also.
    -----------
    Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by nick View Post
    Any UTI and you’re self cathing.... bacteria is always nasty. When it’s not treated long enough and properly it’ll turn into some mutant bacteria from ESBL. I know first hand and know a few others it has recently happened too. I just kindly educate an unfamiliar SCI doctor to learning that SCI bladder is a complex situation and 15 days minimum of Rx is needed. 99% of time they agree and give me the script. If it were me, I’d save myself the hassle and call the immediate care Dr, explains the SCI bladder workings. I’d definitely get a UA and CS (lab work) of the urine also.
    Yes! And, I'd double up on the 250s immediately and get a script for whatever you really might need before they run out!

PS: I hunch samples taken after beginning an antibiotic aren't useful but may be wrong. My MO: get a specimen, then immediately take two 500mg Cipro from my secret arsenal, then two a day until my Dr gets the results back and then do as he directs.
    He is understanding enough to prescribe me the prophylactic Cipro to hold for such emergencies.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post
    Yes! And, I'd double up on the 250s immediately and get a script for whatever you really might need before they run out!

PS: I hunch samples taken after beginning an antibiotic aren't useful but may be wrong. My MO: get a specimen, then immediately take two 500mg Cipro from my secret arsenal, then two a day until my Dr gets the results back and then do as he directs.
    He is understanding enough to prescribe me the prophylactic Cipro to hold for such emergencies.
    Agree that submitting a urine specimen to a lab after antibiotic therapy has begun, will result in altered results.

I don't agree with using Cipro for this purpose. An antibiotic like Macrobid will do the same thing for you until the culture and sensitivity are completed and an appropriate antibiotic is identified and prescribed. You don't want to run the risk of developing Cipro resistant bacteria, when some day Cipro is all that will get to a really nasty infection. Instead of a "secret arsenal" of Cipro, get a "secret arsenal" of Macrobid, or possibly Bactrim.

Quote Originally Posted by nick View Post
    "15 days minimum of Rx is needed"
    I hope that one of the SCI nurses can clarify this for all of us. For years, we were told 10 to 12 days of an antibiotic for complex urinary tract infections. They it became 12 to 14, now you are suggesting 15 days minimum?

A cursory search on the internet about complex urinary tract infections found:

Antibiotics Use for Complicated UTIs https://www.everydayhealth.com/uti/guide/treatment/
    If a UTI is a considered complicated, then a 10- to 14-day course of antibiotics may be required. Also, the initial dose of antibiotics may be started intravenously (IV) in the hospital. After that, antibiotics are given orally at home. In addition, follow-up urine cultures are generally recommended within 10 to 14 days after treatment.

Last edited by gjnl; 02-11-2019 at 03:22 PM.

ya they took a urine test and said they would send it in to get checked to see if the cipro would work said it be 2 to 3 days to get results back
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

Cipro WILL make you desensitized to antibiotics

Antibiotic Resistance and Ciprofloxin https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4964322/

The rate of bacterial resistance to ciprofloxacin observed in the studied population is much higher than expected, prompting the need for rational use of this antibiotic, especially in infections caused by E. coli. Prevention of bacterial resistance can be performed through control measures to limit the spread of resistant microorganisms and a rational use of antimicrobial policy.

The ciprofloxacin use should be performed only after the microbial susceptibility confirmation, and it is necessary to find other alternatives for the empirical treatment. The bacterial resistance prevention can be performed through control measures that limit the spread of resistant bacteria and the rational use of antimicrobial policy.

In this study, we have shown that bacteria isolated from UTIs patients have a high rate of resistance to ampicillin, sulfamethoxazole+trimethoprim and ciprofloxacin. This may be explained by the fact that more than 60% of isolated bacteria were Enterobacteriaceae, which, in general and with few exceptions, such as E. coli, exhibit intrinsic resistance to ampicillin. The association Sulfamethoxazole+trimethoprim is considered the first-line drug to treat acute cystitis, being the first antibiotic to be tested in clinical trials conducted in the early 30's. Ciprofloxacin, in turn, is widely used due to its excellent activity against gram-negative bacteria, but the abuse of this antibiotic including its prophylactic use, has induced a progressive increase in antimicrobial resistance rates. Bacterial resistance to sulfamethoxazole+trimethoprim and ciprofloxacin associated with UTIs is reaching critical levels in many parts of the world.