Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cipro 250 mg for uti

Cipro and other members of the quinolone family may damage your tendons. Some people have reported tendon damage after just one dose.

I take 100mg of Macrodantin once at night and have had only 1 UTI in a year, which was treated with Macrobid (time-released macrodantin). Macrodantin has the benefit of being narrow-sprectrum whereas cipro is broad-spectrum (shot gun approach). Hence, you can take macrodantin for the rest of your life and not have to worry about systemic health issues.

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    Cipro and other members of the quinolone family may damage your tendons. Some people have reported tendon damage after just one dose.

I take 100mg of Macrodantin once at night and have had only 1 UTI in a year, which was treated with Macrobid (time-released macrodantin). Macrodantin has the benefit of being narrow-sprectrum whereas cipro is broad-spectrum (shot gun approach). Hence, you can take macrodantin for the rest of your life and not have to worry about systemic health issues.
    I am not taking any prophylactic antibiotics, I manage my bladder with a supra pubic catheter, I instill Microcyn once a day, and I haven't had a urinary tract infection in two years. That is not to say that a urinary tract infection can't get to me, because I have had a few using Microcyn, but I don't want to be on prophylactic Macrobid/Macrodantin the rest of my life.

I don't agree with your conclusion that you can take Macrobid/Macrodantin for the rest of our life without worry about antibiotic resistance.

I explained I. Another post. The results of the culture tell us the name and how much of the organism(s). It is the sensitivity that tells us which antibiotic to prescribe. Even though normally E. Coli is sensitive to Cipro.. if taken before or if it is a resistant strain , it may no longer kill it. So... taking a antibiotic without a culture is like pissing in the wind... a waste of medicine , time and effort. If someone comes in with symptoms and pretty sick, it will take 3 days to get the results back... I will go ahead and order antibiotic based on their last UTI... and will check when complete and tell them if they get worse then go to the ER. ( especially if they come in on a Friday before a long weekend). Many times it is the same organism, if 7 days worked last tome then they will get 7 days, if it was atleast several months since last Uro. If they describe that it came back a weak or two later or never really cleared, and they have bladder or kidney stones enlarged testicles (epididymitis ) then they would get a little get course. These last 2 may get a total of 6 weeks to clear. Also if there is more than one organism you have to treat all most of the time. If you treat one then not the other, it always seems that the other organism then causes the symptoms on several real weeks. Resistance- caused by taking antibiotics you don’t need or too long s course not neededOR just plain smart bugs that can change their DNA. Pseudomonas is the worst. It has different strains but one strain - you can be giving Iv antibiotics that the culture shows the antibiotic should kill it, but it diesn’t Clear and you recheck and the lab same organism same strain but no longer sensitive. Now this not that common but these UTI,s and the statements that you always do this and that etc... go to a provider who knows what they are doing with SCI. Also despite all this.. we have an ScI infectious disease MD expert we can discuss with... macrobid.. we only give if it is the only medication(pill) that the infection is resistant to... and that one I always prescribe 2 weeks or more... it does say that is for “ simple “ uti’s but a longer course usually works. Hope this clears up... or atleast clears up why this is not a simple subject to say always etc.. every person and Uti is unique. CWO
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Neither the urgent care facility nor your physician are prescribing for a urinary tract infection correctly. Until the results of a culture and sensitivity (C&S) have indicated the type of bacteria and the most effective antibiotic, nothing should be prescribed, especially such a broad spectrum antibiotic as Cipro. Cipro is usually considered an antibiotic of last resort, when an infection doesn't respond to anything else. It is amazing that so many medical "professionals" haven't heard of antibiotic resistance.

If your symptoms are severe and you need medication immediately, Macrobid or possibly Bactrim can be prescribed until the results of the C&S are back, which usually takes about 3 days.

Did the urgent care center take a specimen of urine and submit it to a lab for a urinalysis (UA) and a C&S?
    My go to is cipro 500. I am taking it now.
    ginl I really don't like disagreeing with you because I know you know your stuff. But i got to this time. I never have a c&s run. My urologist runs some type of test and ten minutes later he knows what i need. I can't imagine suffering for three days to wait for a test.

I don't agree with your conclusion that you can take Macrobid/Macrodantin for the rest of our life without worry about antibiotic resistance.
    I didn't say that.

Until the results of a culture and sensitivity (C&S) have indicated the type of bacteria and the most effective antibiotic, nothing should be prescribed... If your symptoms are severe and you need medication immediately, Macrobid or possibly Bactrim can be prescribed until the results of the C&S are back, which usually takes about 3 days.
    I understand why you would say this. But it is too much of a generalization and in some cases may be cruel. Depending on the personal situation, a doctor may have justification to prescribe something stronger even before sensitivities are available.
    Last edited by August West; Today at 07:17 AM.