Thread: Are there any adjustable beds that are electric but have a manual option?

Are there any adjustable beds that are electric but have a manual option?

I'm looking around for an adjustable bed that can operate both manual(a crank or something) and also electric.

Many full-electric hospital-type bed frames have a provision for manual cranking for use in an emergency (such as a power outage), but they are not always easy to use or obvious in location. This is not likely to be the case for adjustable beds (which are not the same as hospital bed type frames).

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Many full-electric hospital-type bed frames have a provision for manual cranking for use in an emergency (such as a power outage), but they are not always easy to use or obvious in location. This is not likely to be the case for adjustable beds (which are not the same as hospital bed type frames).

(KLD)
    Just agreeing with this post!
    Had 3 full electric hospital beds and all had a manual backup crank system. However, my memory is not very good, but my current full electric hospital bed has worst backup system I can think compared to others. A thin med crank with long handle that is separate from bed. We put it behind cabinet with TV on it, hoping to remember where it's at if needed. Remembered this about week ago, replaced TV with new one and found crank.
    This one will need get down in floor to find slots to put crank in, so need a AB handy.
    Remember first full electric was a very old and heavy bed that had handles that folded under bed for backup in same spots as normal manual hospital bed.
    Not seen any consumer electric adjustable beds with backup, other than possible now that they use a backup battery pack like powered adjustable recliners/stander chair. Mama refuses us hospital bed and her electric adjustable bed is way to short for me and won't be long til transfers going require taller bed or hospital bed.
    "Good Luck!"

I know that the Joerns UltraCare XT bed frame comes with an optional/add-on back-up battery if your concerns are for use in a power failure:

https://www.joerns.com/product/8/246...x?categoryID=8

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

With my Transfermaster a backup battery is an option I selected. Never had to use it as we have a backup generator.

Power outage is some thing I'm concerned about. But the problem I'm dealing with right now is faulty hardware. The bed will raise up, but won't go back down. I have a transfer master too. Got a tech out right, he was able to lower it a little bit. But I was thinking, a manual crank would come in handy right about now.

Our Sleep Number beds have an emergency release that will lower the bed to flat in case of a power outage or faulty equipment.

We have a skilled DME who replaced one motor and fixed a similar problem. So sad that most DME's are completely incompetent.

Quote Originally Posted by wheelman21 View Post
    Power outage is some thing I'm concerned about. But the problem I'm dealing with right now is faulty hardware. The bed will raise up, but won't go back down. I have a transfer master too. Got a tech out right, he was able to lower it a little bit. But I was thinking, a manual crank would come in handy right about now.
    A tech worth his salt would try swapping the polarity of the wires to the motor -- so up becomes down and down becomes up. If the bed then "goes back down" -- but not up! -- he would know the problem to be located in the controls (electronics/electrics) and not the mechanism!

Quote Originally Posted by wheelman21 View Post
    Current bed the head up and bed height was low, had transferred into bed. The bed would not do anything pushing buttons.
    The DME Tech came out replaced hand pendant which corrected the problems.
    "Good Luck!"