Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Opinions, reviews, & recommendations please -Time to get a new power wheelchair

Met with a local sales rep for Sunrise/Quickie and Permobil today at outpatient PT at Harborview Hospital in Seattle. Chairs were nearly identical in function. The footrests on the Permobil had a feature where they extended down to the floor to get out of the way of transfers and made for a very stable platform to get in & out of.

Sales rep works for a regional (Western US) mobility vendor that has sold a Bounder before. Asked again about Lithium batteries, she denied any knowledge of such a thing. Clearly her priority was more about an easy sale of a less than optimal device. It was like talking with a used car salesman. Kinda icky--especially thinking about those that are new to the game and will get sucked believing every word she says since she is an ATP.

Maybe I will end up with a Quickie or Permobil due to insurance issues. I am definitely going to work at getting the Bounder first.

I think you'll have a problem getting a Bounder through insurance. And forget getting the lithium. Neither will be deemed "medically necessary."

Over the years I have had 2 Bounders through Medicare. However the last one was in 2007 or 08. The one before that had electronic problem that my DME said due to age plus be cheaper go for new chair than repair.
    They are great built chairs, like a tank plus weigh quite abit, too. Both mine had powered rehab seating, tilt, recline and legrests. Batteries on both were Group 27's, so I don't know a thing about lithium.
    My last chair through Medicare was a AmySystem R-3 Heavy Duty with powered seating.
    I don't know when or if I'll be getting a new chair through Medicare now since my Independent DME sold to nation wide company. I figure no point trying deal with them unless have to since last try was a joke attempting to deal with them.
    We have picked up couple chairs that was sold used.

Got approved by my insurance for a Bounder. It was ordered on 8/30. Should be ready in 2 months. I am excited. I live in a nice, but hilly, neighborhood. Too much for me in my manual chair. Will be able to cruise the `hood in my Bounder.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
    Got approved by my insurance for a Bounder. It was ordered on 8/30. Should be ready in 2 months. I am excited. I live in a nice, but hilly, neighborhood. Too much for me in my manual chair. Will be able to cruise the `hood in my Bounder.
    "Congratulations!" If I may ask what DME company did you use? Seems we have 2 nationwide DME businesses that owns all DME shops here. One bought our old DME business I had delay after delay and changes in costs til we gave up. Wondering if any use in trying other one or just call seating clinic in city and Tulsa to find out who they recommend.
    Don't know if still do it or not but they sent pictures via e-mail on my last build due to placement of seating system control boxes. One good hand and wanted on back of chair where I could reach in any position. It was great seeing it build.

Hi Wchair,

I will recommend Velox. It has 4 pole independent cloud suspension, travel 8 miles per hours. It's a Canadian company I think now they are expanding to the US too.

Check their website here http://poweredbyvelox.com/

Quote Originally Posted by wchair View Post
    Thanks, I was starting to take a liking to the quantum chairs until you posted about short battery distance.

Do the front wheelchairs have a much bigger turning radius than a mid-wheelchair?
    Slightly bigger, but not so much that you can tell the difference. Rear drives have much bigger turn radius (OK for large homes and large doorways).
    My 3 biggest problems with mid drive was; (1) damage to my home. Stop in a door way (as I do for my toilet), then back up, front casters swing around and hit/damage door or door jamb. Chair is jerky when casters change direction. (2) They WILL get stuck. (3) They ride rough over bumps.
    Front drive: remembering you have about 12"-18" tail swing (rear casters) becomes 2nd nature after a short time.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP2013 View Post
    "Congratulations!" If I may ask what DME company did you use?
    Thanks. I went through National Seating & Mobility (NSM). It is like democracy. The worst DME except all others.

Harborview Hospital in Seattle is a large regional magnet rehab facility serving SCIs from Alaska to Montana. Harborview has 7 approved wheelchair vendors that are at least deemed to be better than fly-by-night outfits. A couple are local outfits and some are nation-wide like NSM and Nu-Motion.

The level of product knowledge by the sales reps (CMT's or something like Certified Medical goods Tech) was abysmal. The Nu-Motion tech was OMG bad. I don't know if she was lying to me or that ignorant--likely a little a both.

The sales reps are just riding on an easy job with no motivation to give a shit. Ignorance of their products and your needs is common. Thankfully we have this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks View Post
    Hi Wchair,

I will recommend Velox. It has 4 pole independent cloud suspension, travel 8 miles per hours. It's a Canadian company I think now they are expanding to the US too.

Check their website here http://poweredbyvelox.com/
    Looks like a great chair. Lots of good standard features that are out of pocket options with other makes. 4 pole motors are great too. Wish they made a front drive. My lifestyle/terrain doesn't complement center drive.