Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35

Thread: Opinions, reviews, & recommendations please -Time to get a new power wheelchair

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Northwest OH
    Posts
    198

    Opinions, reviews, & recommendations please -Time to get a new power wheelchair

    It's time for me to get a new power wheelchair. I haven't looked into chairs in 5 years, so I'm not sure what's changed or if there is anything new out there. Thought I would see what everyone on here has to say.
    I'm currently in the Invacare TDX SP that's 5 years old. I'm a C5 quad and this chair has power tilt/recline/legs and a seat elevator. I'm going to need all of these in my new chair.
    So, that limits my options somewhat. I know I can get another Invacare chair or a Permobil. But, are there any other options? It doesn't seem like much has changed in 5 years. But, please let me know if there any other options and what you think of your chairs.
    Thank you, Eric

  2. #2
    After 3 Invacare wheelchairs the first 15 years of quad life, my wheelchair guy recommended I go away from Invacare a few years ago (due to a production shutdown they had for a while and the fact that Invacares had hardly changed..my third wheelchair was almost identical to my second). I went with a Quantum Q6 Edge 2.0 - https://www.quantumrehab.com/quantum...6-edge-2.0.asp - almost 2 years ago.

    I love it. The iLevel driving while elevated works so well when I'm in crowds. Best chair I've had.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Leeds, AL USA
    Posts
    136
    I prefer a front drive, lets me outside without getting stuck.
    Unfortunately Medicare, VA, and many insurance won't pay for seat elevate. 5 yrs ago it was a $1500 Permobil option out of pocket. Not sure if that's changed.
    I'm considering a Permobil F3 this year (fingers crossed). Stated as having a smaller foot print (I will confirm that for myself) and has forward tilt for better reaching (big plus).
    I absolutely hate Permobil 3G arm rests (thin, irritating).
    This will make me consider Quantum if they offer front drive. Currently Permobil is my favorite (despite the negatives) unless Quantum feels better. I will try both before commiting.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Northwest OH
    Posts
    198
    Quote Originally Posted by cjo View Post
    After 3 Invacare wheelchairs the first 15 years of quad life, my wheelchair guy recommended I go away from Invacare a few years ago (due to a production shutdown they had for a while and the fact that Invacares had hardly changed..my third wheelchair was almost identical to my second). I went with a Quantum Q6 Edge 2.0 - https://www.quantumrehab.com/quantum...6-edge-2.0.asp - almost 2 years ago.

    I love it. The iLevel driving while elevated works so well when I'm in crowds. Best chair I've had.
    Thank you, my last 2 chairs have been Invacare and also changed very little. I'm thinking of changing and it's helpful to have a positive review of another brand.
    Does your chair have power recline as well as tilt?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Northwest OH
    Posts
    198
    Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
    I prefer a front drive, lets me outside without getting stuck.
    Unfortunately Medicare, VA, and many insurance won't pay for seat elevate. 5 yrs ago it was a $1500 Permobil option out of pocket. Not sure if that's changed.
    I'm considering a Permobil F3 this year (fingers crossed). Stated as having a smaller foot print (I will confirm that for myself) and has forward tilt for better reaching (big plus).
    I absolutely hate Permobil 3G arm rests (thin, irritating).
    This will make me consider Quantum if they offer front drive. Currently Permobil is my favorite (despite the negatives) unless Quantum feels better. I will try both before commiting.
    So, the front wheel drive is less likely to get stuck than a mid-wheel drive? It makes sense. Do you find you can get over bigger bumps?

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by wchair View Post
    Thank you, my last 2 chairs have been Invacare and also changed very little. I'm thinking of changing and it's helpful to have a positive review of another brand.
    Does your chair have power recline as well as tilt?
    This is my first chair with power recline and elevating foot rests. It also has tilt and elevate, but I had those on my last two Invacares.

    I got the fancy controller with Bluetooth. I can use the joystick to control my mouse on my computer.

  7. #7
    I previously had the Invacare storm 3 and went to a Rovi X3 midwheel drive two and a half years ago. It has the option for tilt, anterior tilt, recline, legs, and elevate. The elevate is not a bar and instead more of a scissor going up and is by far one of my favorite features on the chair. The stability is crazy and even with tilt during elevate plus muscle spasms I have never had a concern of tipping. My wife also sat and stood on my footplate while elevated for some of our engagement photos with complete stability. The only parts I have had to replace were the armrests (the one thing I didn’t research and trusted the ATP to select so that was more due to not getting the kind I needed), the batteries at the 2 year mark, my cushion which is normal, and my backrest is in desperate need of being replaced due to spasms. I have not had any failures with the Rovi X3 in the 1500 miles I have taken it.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Northwest OH
    Posts
    198
    Thanks for the info on the Rovi… I didn't really know anything about this brand

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Leeds, AL USA
    Posts
    136
    Quote Originally Posted by wchair View Post
    So, the front wheel drive is less likely to get stuck than a mid-wheel drive? It makes sense. Do you find you can get over bigger bumps?
    Yes, will go over bigger bumps verses mid drive. Also a smoother ride.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Leeds, AL USA
    Posts
    136
    Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
    Yes, will go over bigger bumps verses mid drive. Also a smoother ride.

    The Quantum 4Front looks nice. 4 wheel independent suspension. I will test one, then test Permobil F4 for comparison.
    I'm eligible in April.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 07-03-2018, 08:12 AM
  2. Power or Electric Wheelchair Recommendations
    By ND_Wheeler in forum Equipment
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-13-2015, 04:20 PM
  3. Power wheelchair reviews
    By mikeyb in forum Equipment
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-17-2014, 03:58 PM
  4. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-05-2012, 05:07 PM
  5. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-05-2008, 11:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •