Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Opinions, reviews, & recommendations please -Time to get a new power wheelchair

So just to put a cap on this thread… I tried a Permobil M5 last week and decided to order it. I got till, recline, 14 inch elevator which rolls at walking speed if not a bit faster, anterior tilt as well. Top speed 7 1/2 miles per hour. I like the mid-wheelchairs… I have been in mid-wheelchairs for a long time, so it's just a comfort factor thing. Seems like it's going to be a very nice chair.
    Thanks again for chiming in with all the wheelchair information. I'll post back when I get it if there are any particular likes, dislikes or problems

Hi, my first post!

I used a manual chair for 38 years. Now I am going to get a power chair. I weigh 300 lbs and live on a small steep hill (20% grade with 50' high hill). I can get my choice of chairs.

I am looking at the Sunrise/Quickie HD or the Permobil HD. I would really like 8MPH. I live in a semi-urban area (Bellevue, WA) that would be great to scoot around with a high-range chair.

What are the pros & cons of the motors and controls? It there something else to consider/need to know?

My sales rep is not going a trusted source of information.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
    Hi, my first post!

I used a manual chair for 38 years. Now I am going to get a power chair. I weigh 300 lbs and live on a small steep hill (20% grade with 50' high hill). I can get my choice of chairs.

I am looking at the Sunrise/Quickie HD or the Permobil HD. I would really like 8MPH. I live in a semi-urban area (Bellevue, WA) that would be great to scoot around with a high-range chair.

What are the pros & cons of the motors and controls? It there something else to consider/need to know?

My sales rep is not going a trusted source of information.
    Welcome, Kevin

I'm not sure if 8mph motors are going to be available in that weight class. The main thing you want to make sure of is that you get high quality, group 24 batteries. More important is to keep them charged, everyday after use.

Ok, definitely planning on getting some G24 batteries with 85AH or better. Will include lights and a tilt seat.

Are the high-speed motors different or do they simply use a different control setup?

Not sure what's available with the current powerchairs, but torque is more important than speed in the powerchair world, and unfortunately I don't think both will be available with an off the shelf unit. I think the highest amp control system is 120 amp. that's what you'll probably need if you're talking hills, even short ones. You can glean all the info you'll even need at the wheelchairdriver forum.

Does anybody make a chair with a lithium battery?

I think Bounder might offer a lithium as an upgrade.

I talked with Sunrise, PerMobil and Bounder today. Only Bounder has a lithium option. Dick at Bounder is 83 years old and a great help. Bounder chairs are crazy expensive. I will try to one of them through my insurance. They take 8 weeks to build.
    Link http://www.wheelchairs.com/drive_train.htm

Dick at Bounder recommended the chain drive over a geared V-belt or a regular fan belt. He said it is not much louder than the motors.

Thoughts and suggestions?

I am going to try and get a Bounder chair. They do have a Lithium battery for almost $4000 with 24V & 100AH.

Will likely have a chain drive per Bounder tech suggestion. I am sensitive to noise, but was it is not much louder than the motors. I will get lights and tilt.

Thoughts and suggestions?
    Last edited by KevinH; 05-30-2019 at 12:30 AM.

I personally have no experience with the Bounder chair. I know they've been around for awhile and are pretty beefy.