Thread: Burns + Pressure

Burns + Pressure

I got a new heating pad in November and remember waking up with it being hot, I turned it off and rolled over. Days Later found out I had two bad burns one on each butt cheak. About 4 inches from my crack. I own my own business and staying off was not an option in my life. I had used duoderm thick dressing first with a larger band aid over it since it was still releasing a lot of fluid. Then got a bad water burn on my foot just before Christmas, some was a second degree burn. So off to the wound clinic. There I got fibracol plus. I started using that on all my wounds. My foot is almost healed. The ones on my butt are healing, it has been slow. I wish I could remember how to post pictures from my photo gallery. I have been taking pictures every few days though they are pretty gross. I use a Roho cushion. I had been changing the dressing every night, now just every few days. I sure hear you about being on bed rest. I could not do that mentally nor due to my business. It has been nearly 3 months but the center is almost filled in probably close to a Nickle size. These had been about 2x3 inches. I had not noticed them until they had a semi scab on them. I work around water all day so wet spots on my cushion is normal. Let me know how to post pics from my photo gallery and I do a few.both items can be bought on Amazon.

Found how to post pictures again first is November and then yesterday
    Attached Images Attached Images   

I moved your posts to their own thread, as not really related to the previous thread.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I think that the difference might be yours was/is a burn, I'm sure that mine is pressure. I'm self employed and can't afford not to work, I don't need to be up all day if I could use a computer in bed but to do so I have to sit up and even with a pillow wedged to keep my butt up there is still some pressure. I've suffered with the sores since my accident and can't stop them, just get told I am trying to do too much, already on the point of having my vent switched off and this is probably the final straw, got no desire to exist like this. Bucket list is out and about to be started on.

I don't really know what will happen if I just get on with my life, I guess eventually it will be a big hole but will need to work out when to press the off button.

MRB! Please dotter on!

The political forum needs your accurate and insightful input.
    And, sorry to hear of your troubles. My body foreclosed on my 45 year business when I was 69.
    It was a blessing!
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Quote Originally Posted by mrb View Post
    I think that the difference might be yours was/is a burn, I'm sure that mine is pressure. I'm self employed and can't afford not to work, I don't need to be up all day if I could use a computer in bed but to do so I have to sit up and even with a pillow wedged to keep my butt up there is still some pressure. I've suffered with the sores since my accident and can't stop them, just get told I am trying to do too much, already on the point of having my vent switched off and this is probably the final straw, got no desire to exist like this. Bucket list is out and about to be started on.

I don't really know what will happen if I just get on with my life, I guess eventually it will be a big hole but will need to work out when to press the off button.
    mrb-
    You have, on occasion, been a bit of an a-hole but this is out of control!

Seriously, could anyone arrange a heavy, moveable stand that would hold your laptop or computer at an angle so you could use it while laying on your side? It seems not that huge a challenge and I've been mulling a design for myself. I love my Imac so it's not as simple as using a laptop. Gosh, people just turn laptops on their side in bed. I suspect if you can get one or two things improving in your life it may feel less of a burden.

Lavender Lady, I'm glad your wound is getting better. that was awful!

Men have you tried the thicker duoderm dressings. From a previous injury I found the duoderm to be a thicker better protection. With yours still on the smaller size you could probably cut into fourths. I then put a larger latex free bandage over it. I have been using a 4 x4 over mine just to give it full protection. My heart goes out to you in your struggle. I am only a para and have tough days, but my thoughts always go back to folks on this forum who limited so much more than I. People around me don't understand why I don't complain or get angry about my injury. I can only tell them that there are so many others out there that have it 100 times worse than I. I understand why they can't understand that. They do not know another person in a wheelchair so I am the worst they know. I would be happy to send some of the fibracol stuff I have.do a internet search on it. It is available on Amazon in the U.S.. I own a flower shop so I have to be in there every day so I had to find ways to heal this even with me sitting on It. I know what works for me won't work for others. Hang in there spring is on its way with new life.

I’m glad you went to the wound clinic for treatment.
    i hope your wound will continue to heal.
    It is tough to heal a wound when there is pressure atop
    please follow the recommendations of the clinic as much as you can
    maybe you could limit the hours of your shop fo a while
    if it doesn’t heal you may need surgery to repair and then you’d be on forced bed rest

pbr

Everyone out there - please do not use a heating pad on part of your body with poor or no sensation.
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetracyclone View Post
    mrb-
    You have, on occasion, been a bit of an a-hole but this is out of control!

Seriously, could anyone arrange a heavy, moveable stand that would hold your laptop or computer at an angle so you could use it while laying on your side? It seems not that huge a challenge and I've been mulling a design for myself. I love my Imac so it's not as simple as using a laptop. Gosh, people just turn laptops on their side in bed. I suspect if you can get one or two things improving in your life it may feel less of a burden.

Lavender Lady, I'm glad your wound is getting better. that was awful!
    I never lie on my side, can only tolerate it for a few minutes. Laptop would need to be over my head but it adds a problem as I use head mouse so my head moves, not easy when it is stuck on a pillow. I'll see how the next week goes and make a decision, trying to be positive but really am questioning why I bother when so much time is spent in bed staring at the same walls.

What a mess this thread is. Lavender lady, try Mepilex border, comes in different sizes, 4x4, 6x6 and AG under it to help the healing. Have you upped your protein intake? You have to balance it so you don't stress your kidneys with too much protein.