Thread: In Search of C4 Complete SCIs - Need Advice In Many Areas

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

In Search of C4 Complete SCIs - Need Advice In Many Areas

If I?m going about this the wrong way I apologize (and please point me in the right direction) as I?m uncertain of how to go about getting in touch with others in this particular injury population. Some general areas I need advice in are obtaining particular equipment, managing employment, daily exercises/diet/routines, differing medical issues, and programs or services to take advantage of. My plan is to use this thread or private messaging built into this forum to communicate for starters. Many thanks and any help is appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by UpAndAdam View Post
    If I?m going about this the wrong way I apologize (and please point me in the right direction) as I?m uncertain of how to go about getting in touch with others in this particular injury population. Some general areas I need advice in are obtaining particular equipment, managing employment, daily exercises/diet/routines, differing medical issues, and programs or services to take advantage of. My plan is to use this thread or private messaging built into this forum to communicate for starters. Many thanks and any help is appreciated!
    It is good that you have found this forum, and there is a lot of information and help here.

Now what are your specific issues with which your need help?

Right so about me, I am a C4/5 SCI about 2.5 years post injury. No wrist or finger function but slight bicep contraction (not very functional besides nose scratching). I live solo currently with daily caregiver help.

Equipment: I am looking to have my Medicare or Medicaid cover a standing wheelchair to take a vantage of those benefits. I very much want to have an FES arm and leg cycle too. The most immediate benefit from these I would hope to get is helping to regulate my bowels which have gotten very sensitive over the last six months.

Employment: I have an undergraduate degree and do not have plans to go back to school currently. Would like to find a way to work from home. I am just beginning to take advantage of my states vocational rehab department. Mostly I am curious about what kind of work (both in and out of home) other people with quadriplegia do, especially those with similar limitations in function to mine.

Exercise/Diet: I am finally reshaping my diet which was too close to my pre-injury diet about 5 months ago. I am looking to find other high cervical injury people’s caloric and water intake averages as well as what types of foods they can eat. I similarly want to know about peoples daily workout routines. I spend about 45 minutes every morning getting my arms, legs and hips stretched in range of motion movements as well as one hour of mobile arm support-assisted weightlifting most nights. About three times a week I spend 15 minutes doing electrical stimulation on my abdomen while in bed in the morning. Another 3 to 4 times a week I breathe through my expiratory muscular strength trainer. And then five times a week I do some back raises by tilting up-and-down while in my powerchair.

Medical: The biggest issue I have is currently is having had to drastically reduce my daily amount of food as well as its consistency the last couple months. I have had issues where abdominal spasms keep me up at night. Otherwise I deal with hemorrhoids which can cause irritation depending on my position in bed.
    C4/5 complete

Bumping this hopefully for more response
    C4/5 complete