Thread: Outsized door handle for quad?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Outsized door handle for quad?

The strap of my sling caught the door handle, so now I'm searching for the best replacement. My hands are weaker now, so that I have a harder time using even a lever handle. (Not to mention the issue of maneuvering close enough to reach.) I'll keep looking, but anyone know of some big bold design or OT solution that might help? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Spitzbub View Post
    The strap of my sling caught the door handle, so now I'm searching for the best replacement. My hands are weaker now, so that I have a harder time using even a lever handle. (Not to mention the issue of maneuvering close enough to reach.) I'll keep looking, but anyone know of some big bold design or OT solution that might help? Thanks!
    How about an electric door opener? https://www.karmanhealthcare.com/doo...-quadriplegic/

Quote Originally Posted by Spitzbub View Post
    You didn't indicate which door it is (exterior, interior, etc.).

Could you replace the hinges with double action swing hinges? (like the action of an old "saloon" door so you could just PUSH your way through, regardless of direction)

An electronic door opener can be used for either an inside or outside door, but they are not cheap.

Have you considered a lever type like this? https://www.wrightstuff.biz/doknexpaof2.html

PS: are you sitting in your lift sling in your wheelchair (when you say your sling caught on the lever knob)?? Not good for your skin.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.