Thread: Equipment, insurance

Equipment, insurance

Hi, I am looking to obtain a tub/shower chair slider system. From what I understand is that insurance will likely not cover it? If not, my waiver will likely assist with the purchase. However, I would first need to obtain a script and then obtain an insurance denial. Once I get the script, can I submit it directly to my insurance for review, or does it have to go through more formal channels? I have Aetna PPO as primary (DMEnsions is my durable equipment insurer), followed by medical assistance. Thanks!

Not sure what waiver you are referring to, but Medicare does not cover bathing equipment of any kind, and most other private insurance companies follow Medicare guidelines in the area of this type of DME.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I understand. My question was can I submit the script myself to the insurance company to be reviewed/denied, or does it have to be submitted by a medical professional?

Quote Originally Posted by landrover View Post
    Hi, I am looking to obtain a tub/shower chair slider system. From what I understand is that insurance will likely not cover it? If not, my waiver will likely assist with the purchase. However, I would first need to obtain a script and then obtain an insurance denial. Once I get the script, can I submit it directly to my insurance for review, or does it have to go through more formal channels? I have Aetna PPO as primary (DMEnsions is my durable equipment insurer), followed by medical assistance. Thanks!
    If you're working with a DME supplier, they should know what to do and be able to guide you. If I were you, I would call the customer service number on the back of your Aetna insurance card and get a customer service rep on the phone. Explain the situation as you understand it, and they will help, especially if all you're looking for from them is a denial.
    Co-founder & CTO of MYOLYN - FES Technology for People with Paralysis - Empowering People to Move

Thank you.