Thread: Patient Lift and Insurance

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Patient Lift and Insurance

I'm looking into ceiling track systems, I already have a cheap manual patient lift. My local mobility center uses Prism (use to be HandiCare), any comments on which ceiling lifts you prefer and why. Also, and I don't have much hope for this, is there any situation where insurance may cover part of the expense.

I don't know of any USA private insurance, or Medicare that will pay for one. The VA does cover for those who cannot use a mobile floor based lift, and of course Worker's Comp frequently covers. (I assume you are in the USA, although it does not indicate that on your profile).

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Medicare and possibly private plans will pay a small amount toward it if filed correctly by an in-network DME supplier (like a hospital bed, they think you should have the bare minimum unpowered item). It's under the Part B DME benefit.

Depending on your State, Medicaid, if applicable, might pay more.

I found a ceiling track system by Sure Hands that has an IR Remote and an independent lift system. Also found basically the same type system from Prism but with a wired remote. Does anyone have any experience with using ceiling track systems independently. Just wondering just how realistic operating the system independently is. I'm C5/6 incomplete, have good trunk stability, one hand I'm fairly sure I use the remote, good enough arm and leg strength that I've been able to live independently for 42 years. But I'm 65 now and transferring is starting to be a real issue.

Be sure that if you are looking for a system to use independently that it has both a lifting AND lateral motor. Many do not. Also, the ease of use will depend on how easily you can get into and out of the sling you will be using. Many people have found that the easiest sling for them to use independently is the SureHands Body Support rather than a fabric sling.

One advantage of the wired vs. wireless control is that if you drop the wired one, you can easily retrieve it during the lift; not so with a wireless unless you wear it on a lanyard around your neck.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah that was the first thing my son said, "what if you drop the remote". The video clip of the IR Remote unit show the person wearing the remote like a pendent. But I talked to a SureHands sales rep yesterday, the Ceiling Lift with the IR Remote is $7,000 and I would need a powered TurnTable in the bathroom (one way to commode and one way to the shower) and that's $3,000. So not sure this track system is going to happen, unless I can get a good price on a used system.