Thread: Bowel Program "Dosage"

Bowel Program "Dosage"

I have mainly used Magic Bullets for my bowel program for over 15 years. I have used Enemeez consistently a couple of times, but I tend to gravitate back to the Magic Bullet because it generally works, and Enemeez doesn't help with performance (it finishes in the same time, I empty no more than with MB). Enemeez is even a little harder to use because I insert it in bed, and it starts squirting back out within a minute. As a quad, it's hard to get the assistance into the shower chair before that time.

I have an issue with hard stool at the beginning of my BP. Sometimes this makes the stool slow to come down for emptying. Some days I have used a Enemeez after already using a Magic Bullet. It helps!

Is it a bad idea to use both the Magic Bullet and Enemeez? If so, should it be 100% avoided, or can the double attack be used on occasion?

Quote Originally Posted by EyesOfTexas View Post
    I have mainly used Magic Bullets for my bowel program for over 15 years. I have used Enemeez consistently a couple of times, but I tend to gravitate back to the Magic Bullet because it generally works, and Enemeez doesn't help with performance (it finishes in the same time, I empty no more than with MB). Enemeez is even a little harder to use because I insert it in bed, and it starts squirting back out within a minute. As a quad, it's hard to get the assistance into the shower chair before that time.

I have an issue with hard stool at the beginning of my BP. Sometimes this makes the stool slow to come down for emptying. Some days I have used a Enemeez after already using a Magic Bullet. It helps!

Is it a bad idea to use both the Magic Bullet and Enemeez? If so, should it be 100% avoided, or can the double attack be used on occasion?
    How often are you doing a bowel program?

Do you take any oral medications like senna, colace or bisacodyl?
    pbr
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Sorry, I missed some of those crucial details.

I do a bowel program three evenings a week.

I take a generic stool softener the evening before and the morning of my bowel routine. I only restarted the stool softener in the last 4-6 months, and it helps with the firmness at the start. I have also been doing a probiotic once a day, which is also seemed to help.

It is still quite hard on random occasion, which leads to me trying the extra Enemeez.

So I assume that three evenings a week doesn't mean every other night. Am I right in assuming that your schedule is say Bowel Program on Monday, Thursday and Sunday, then Wednesday, Saturday, and Tuesday and so on. If that is your timing, you may want to change to having a bowel program every other night. Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday etc. What may be happening is the stool that collects in the rectal vault may be drying out and becoming hard. Quite a bit of stool can collect in the rectal vault and that dry "plug" may be part of the problem.

Agree with gjnl
    stool softener taken on regular basis will prove to yield regular results
    pbr
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

My timing is three consistent days weekly: every Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday. I agree that waiting too long in between can result in drying out. I think we all try to strike a balance between filling our schedules with too many bowel programs and waiting too long in between. It's been nice being able to avoid doing about program on Friday and Saturday, especially since I do them in the evening.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll take this to mean that it's not a great idea to use the combined Magic Bullet + Enemeez as a worse-case to get things moving.

FYI, before I got a colostomy in 2012, I settled down to a twice weekly program which was very satisfactory. BP Wed eve and Sun AM.
    Occasionally I would get slightly bound up but that only required a longer time on the pot. I did this for ~15 years.
    I only got the colostomy temporarily treating a butt wound but chose to keep it-good call!
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ