Thread: How much does a stairlift cost?

How much does a stairlift cost?

I guess just a chairlift type, it doesn't have to take me in the chair?

I've never really wanted one (why would I choose to live in a place with stairs?), but now my buddy says he's gonna buy one for his house.

My friend bought a new house and I just went to visit him the other day. It's a two story house with an unfinished basement. I can get onto the first floor okay because he bought a little collapsible ramp just for me to get in and out, which is pretty cool (nobody has ever done that for me before). But as he's showing me around the house, he tells me that the basement is unfinished, and apparently he's gonna turn it into some bad ass man cave with a bar and a theater room and a poker table and whatnot, which sounds awesome, but it's also down a full flight of stairs. I'm only in my 30s, but me and most of my other buddies lived life pretty hard in our twenties and while I was busy earning my SCI they were arranging to get arthritic knees and busted nerves from jumping out of airplanes for Uncle Sam, so while they can and have hauled me up and down many flights of stairs, I know it's really painful for them, especially my friend who just bought the house, and that's only gonna get worse as we get older.

So while he was giving me this tour he said "don't worry" about getting down the stairs, and I was like... yeah... right... and I started asking him how sturdy the railing was on the basement, because if I've got a rail on either side, I can almost get myself up a flight of stairs on my own, and if I ever start working out like I always mean to it's one of my goals to be able to get myself up and down without having to bump my ass along each step. But then he tells me he's already got it figured out and he's gonna get a stairlift.

That's awesome, but I also have no idea how expensive that is. He says he's got it all figured out, but this guy isn't rich (especially now that he just bought a house) and he's got two little kids who I gather are also pretty expensive. Anyway, it's a super nice gesture, and he seems to think he's got it all figured out, but I worry that it's gonna cost him a lot of money.

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    I guess just a chairlift type, it doesn't have to take me in the chair?

That's awesome, but I also have no idea how expensive that is. He says he's got it all figured out, but this guy isn't rich (especially now that he just bought a house) and he's got two little kids who I gather are also pretty expensive. Anyway, it's a super nice gesture, and he seems to think he's got it all figured out, but I worry that it's gonna cost him a lot of money.
    As with all DME, you (he?) should look around, locally, to see what's available. I've worked with several non-profits that refurbish DME and you'd be surprised at the amount and variety of "stuff" that they receive. The problem is finding what you need, when you want it! Most of these places have very limited storage space so if they can't find (by consulting a "waiting list") someone to take a donated piece of kit "as is, where is", then it usually head to the dumpster -- especially if it is large (e.g., hospital bed, powerchair transport for tailgate, hoyer lift, etc.), "exotic" or requires some expertise to understand its purpose and/or refurbish it.

[Saw a "cooling vest" a few weeks ago... never a request for one so it was discarded. "Too bad, so sad" ]

I saw a chair lift trashed last month for similar reasons (consider, someone has to express a desire for it AND have the ability to install it, THEMSELVES, for it to see renewed life!). There's a reason DME suppliers have such high overheads! (and still can't seem to stay in business, despite their prices!)

What Automation said-check around used lifts are available. I paid 100$ for mine, and acted as middleman in another one that was donated to a coworker.
    In our local area, United Cerebral Palsy, has an equipment pool of used DME.
    One place I worked handled a similar pool for MDA, UCP, MS society, and ACS.
    I see them on Craigslist and Ebay, as well.
    Some are easier to adapt to fit than others. Generally, a straight stairway is much easier to put a lift in than a curved stairway.
    Also check with local installers-we used to get calls to remove them, if the user moved, or no longer needed it. They can also help with installation, if need be.
    Good luck.

Pretty cheap...used. New, who can really tell. Whatever they can get you for?

Anyway, I hear Facebook can be a real good place to find them too, besides Craigslist or whatnot. I got a next to new one for $300...

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...ble-stair-lift

It's a straight shot down to the basement, so hopefully that means it will be easier to find a used one. My buddy seemed pretty sure of himself (and a little secretive) so for all I know he's already found one (his mother is a nurse who used to do home health so I'm sure she knows some people), and in any case it's gonna be months and months before it is needed, the basement is unfinished and he and his stepfather are going to do all the insulation/drywall/plumbing/flooring/cabinetry, etc, etc before I'd have any reason to go down there. Good to know they can be had so cheaply if you're willing to look long enough.

I've had several people offer them to me for free, they just wanted to get rid of them.

Hey Funklab You got one very special friend there!

Quote Originally Posted by pete4sake View Post
    Hey Funklab You got one very special friend there!
    Maybe not a "special friend" kind of special friend, but yes I agree. I've been hanging with the same friends (him included) for more than 20 years since middle school. Good people.

It's a straight shot down to the basement, so hopefully that means it will be easier to find a used one.

Good to know they can be had so cheaply if you're willing to look long enough.
    AFAICT, they need to be "fitted" to the particular "installation". So, if you happen to find one that was intended for a short run of 4 steps, you're SoL if you need to straddle 12! And, vice versa.

Please let us know if the unit had to be modified and, if so, how it was modified. I.e., would this be relatively straightforward for someone else to repeat?

[If you could impose on your friend to take numerous photos of the process, that would be GREAT!]

lol
    Maybe not a "special friend" kind of special friend, but yes I agree. I've been hanging with the same friends (him included) for more than 20 years since middle school. Good people.