Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pressure causing dry skin ?

Well, it looks like it was a mess under it. I had to be in the chair for a long time Friday whilst evacuated to my local hospital due to the risk of flooding, returned yesterday and up for a good few hours. Honey and tegaderm foam removed to find this. It looks like either a lot of bed rest or just get on doing things until it breaks down and then switch the vent off. Tired of trying to lead any kind of live and living most of it in bed.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

From your post I assume that you got treatment started
    I hope the treatment heals it quickly

pbr
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    From your post I assume that you got treatment started
    I hope the treatment heals it quickly

pbr
    My district nurse team is as confused as me as to how it went from a dry skin layer to grade 2 sore in 1 day. We are using a honey dressing and tegaderm foam dressing to remove the slough initially. Checking every 3 or 4 days. I'm in bed sat up working with a pillow wedged under that cheek, there is pressure on it but I can't find another way to work.

Quote Originally Posted by mrb View Post
    My district nurse team is as confused as me as to how it went from a dry skin layer to grade 2 sore in 1 day. We are using a honey dressing and tegaderm foam dressing to remove the slough initially. Checking every 3 or 4 days. I'm in bed sat up working with a pillow wedged under that cheek, there is pressure on it but I can't find another way to work.
    I have a memory foam topper which I cut a hole in for the most sensitive part of my anatomy. The challenge is getting my gimpy ass in the right spot.

Was it actually dry skin, or more like a callous? The latter can be confused with hyperkeratosis, which is a callous like area that can cover an underlying deeper pressure ulcer, or line the edge of a pressure ulcer. It must be removed (debrided) for the wound to resume healing, as its presence prevents the growth of normal fibroblasts.

Also, the wound pictured above is not a stage II. Since it is covered with eschar, it should be called "unable to stage" (UTS), until the eschar is debrided, and then may actually be deeper.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Was it actually dry skin, or more like a callous? The latter can be confused with hyperkeratosis, which is a callous like area that can cover an underlying deeper pressure ulcer, or line the edge of a pressure ulcer. It must be removed (debrided) for the wound to resume healing, as its presence prevents the growth of normal fibroblasts.

Also, the wound pictured above is not a stage II. Since it is covered with eschar, it should be called "unable to stage" (UTS), until the eschar is debrided, and then may actually be deeper.

(KLD)
    It started as dry skin which then became a thicker layer, we didn't want to lift it off so DN's tried a honey dressing, on Friday when removed some of the hard layer had gone so a new honey dressing was applied, on Sunday morning dressing was removed and photo is what we found. I think that the dry skin layer was hiding a deeper pressure sore but the photos we take just show a gradual build up of white skin. I don't know what will be done once the slough is removed, my DN team are not experts in pressure sores.

Looking at my daily routine and realise that showering involves sitting on a shower chair with a firm base, this can't be good for the ischial, how do you reduce the pressure? Are there water proof cushions available?

Mrb
    Are you thinking of something like the rubber donuts that were once, at least, available? Could your carer get you accurately placed on one?

There are basic seats, like this:
    https://www.amazon.com/Shower-Bench-.../dp/B079T7SG6D

but I think you are looking for an ischial cut-out, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by Tetracyclone View Post
    Mrb
    Are you thinking of something like the rubber donuts that were once, at least, available? Could your carer get you accurately placed on one?
    I don't know what options there are, I haven't used the shower chair since starting to think that it won't help. Need to see where my problem ischial touches it

So these chairs (https://razdesigninc.com/index.php/s...elf-propelled/ - I don?t know how to post a link except to manufacturer site) have some sort of adjustability to ensure that ischials are in the cutout and not sat on. Won?t solve transfer issues, but maybe you can find an equivalent cushion to use on your current set up?