Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bowel program help please!

So I think I am going to stop using the magic bullet permanently. I've been trying to make it work with the suggestions people have made but it just doesn't work for me. Which seems extremely weird for me because I had used the magic bullet for 10 plus years but now my body seems to be rejecting it. If I use less of magic bullet (half or less) I don't get the results I want no matter how much digital stimulation I do and this can cause accidents. If I use the full magic bullet I get results but I get clear mucus sometimes a couple hours later sometimes later in the day. Even though I am doing lots of DS after I think I am done and yesterday I tried finishing my BR and then waited 30 min took a shower and got back on the toilet to see If I could empty the extra mucus and still couldn't get it to come out. And then when I transferred to go to bed last night all the white extra mucus came out. So I think I am going to give Mini Enemeez another try But my question is for people who use it what is there process? I tried it a couple of times but didn't get results I wanted and had accident later. Do people use more than one at a time? And how do you effectively get it up and to stay in? Also I am going to try some restoralax the night before to help things i think. And has anyone every tried Glycerine suppositories are they effective and do they not cause mucus?
    Its only at the brink of our own destruction that we learn to change.

Blog Entries
    I believe the glycerine tend to melt slower

When asked glycerin suppository vs bisacodyl suppository, an associate professor of pharmacology answered https://www.cmecorner.com/portal/exp...on.org&cid=19:

Glycerin vs. Bisacodyl Suppositories
    3/4/2010
    Is there a difference between bisacodyl suppositories and glycerin suppositories, and can they be used interchangeably?

Yes, there is a difference between glycerin and bisacodyl suppositories. Glycerin acts locally as a lubricant to make it easier for a patient to have a bowel movement. Bisacodyl is a stimulant laxative that causes contraction of the bowel and would be generally considered more potent than glycerin. For this reason, the products should not be used interchangeably.

Michael R. Brodeur, PharmD, CGP, FASCP
    Associate Professor
    Department of Pharmacy Practice
    Albany College of Pharmacy
    Albany, NY

At Drugs.com (https://www.drugs.com/cons/laxative-rectal.html, there is a comparison of various types of rectal laxatives, i.e., suppositories) there is a discussion about the different types of rectal suppositories and enemas.

It also needs to be said that a bisacodyl suppository like Ducolax is different than the Magic Bullet bisacodyl suppository. Ducolax is active ingredient, bisacodyl, in an inactive base of vegetable oil. Magic Bullet is active base of bisacodyl in an inactive base of water. It is said that the water base melts and and works quicker than the vegetable oil base.

Quote Originally Posted by jeft View Post
    I wish you the best of luck. After 25 years of this routine I'm finally electing to go with a colostomy bag. I hate the thought of it. But, feedback from others is overwhelmingly positive. I'm looking forward to no longer dealing with bowel issues for hours per day.
    I am post 15+ years T10 complete injury. I went through all the problems of BP routine for 6 years before I had elective loop colostomy surgery. All I can say is; best thing I ever done. Wish I would have had it done 15 years ago. I have never had any problems with my colostomy. The only issues I ever had were through my own neglect, i.e., waited too long to empty/change bag.

To all new SCI injury and even those who have had SCI injury for many years already; if you are having any issues with your BP, do yourself and your spouse a big favor, Go get a loop colostomy. Best thing you can do to improve your quality of life. Freedom! No worries! Takes about 1-2 minutes to change a bag, and about 15-20 minutes added to your shower time when you change the wafer. Bags are changed as needed and wafer will last anywhere from 8-12+ days, just depends on your stool condition and your level of activity. I change my wafer once a week whether it needs it or not.

Most of the bad things you hear about colostomy problems are self induced problems that can be easily avoided. To avoid problems, change the bag before it is too full, make sure your skin is clean and dry and use skin prep before applying wafer. After applying wafer, hold hand over the seal for a few minutes to warm it up and get a good seal, wait a few minutes before doing a lot of bending or flopping around getting dressed. If you do those simple things, you should never have any problems.

One more thing, avoid foods that will give you diarrhea. Watery stool will shorten the life of your wafer seal to your skin. You will have to change your wafer more often till the diarrhea has passed. With that said, diarrhea is still much easier to deal with when you have a colostomy than if you don't.

Hope this helps someone.

What made the difference for me in limiting/eliminating the afterburn was the use of a bulb syringe with warm water. I use 1/2 of the magic bullet (water base). stimulation and, time. When I am sure that I have cleaned out, I use the bulb syringe (that which is used for cleaning out a child's nose) to flush out the rectum using just warm water. This may have to be done several times but, you will know by the clean return that you are done.
    I refuse to tip toe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim C. View Post
    I believe the glycerine tend to melt slower
    Glycerine suppositories don't usually melt at all. They don't need to in order to work.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by alissa View Post
    Hey NorthQuad, what dosage do you take on the Senakot?
    I take 4 pill amounts. Late at night.

Fodmap Diet for gas and bloating. It's a diet for Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). Very well documented online.
    tom

Welcome to The Flat Earth Society

The mucous is caused by the Bisacodyl which acts a chemical irritant to empty the lower part of the bowels. Enemeez is a natural laxative and doe snot cause the mucous. How long did you use the Enemeez? You might try using 2 Enemeez- after you think you are finished use another one to totally empty. Sometimes, it takes 1-2 weeks to really change form one to the other effectively.
    CWO
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

How long did you try using Enemeez? From past experience, Bisacodyl products irritates your bowel, which takes time for it to heal. 17+ years ago, I was introduced to Enemeez after having an accident that was caused by passing gas while drinking coffee, which was 4 hours after my BP. I was humiliated and never wanted to experience this again, ever. I started to use Enemeez Plus because I experience AD and the Benzocaine in Enemeez Plus significantly lessens the symptoms. Nonetheless, it took about a week of every other day to finally get bowels moving correctly.