Thread: Epidural Implant Purchase

Epidural Implant Purchase

Has anyone ever heard of any surgeons in the USA that will implant SCI patients? It?s just an off the shelf pain stimulator and the surgery is not complicated and can even be 30-60 mins outpatient. Obviously optimizing the settings could be the biggest challenge. I would think you could get it put in for pain in the eyes of insurance and who would dispute that we have this pain.

its become evident to me that some of the bigger researchers doing this do not seem to have much intention or motivation to take this to clinic to actually help us. I don?t want to and won?t go to Thailand but would love to find someone to do it in North America.

Just one benefit of anything even as minimal as better bladder capacity resulting less cathing and UTIs justify it. The implant itself is not even expensive.

??????����*♂️����*♂️����*♂️����*♂️

Quote Originally Posted by Lyerly View Post
    Has anyone ever heard of any surgeons in the USA that will implant SCI patients? It?s just an off the shelf pain stimulator and the surgery is not complicated and can even be 30-60 mins outpatient. Obviously optimizing the settings could be the biggest challenge. I would think you could get it put in for pain in the eyes of insurance and who would dispute that we have this pain.

its become evident to me that some of the bigger researchers doing this do not seem to have much intention or motivation to take this to clinic to actually help us. I don?t want to and won?t go to Thailand but would love to find someone to do it in North America.

Just one benefit of anything even as minimal as better bladder capacity resulting less cathing and UTIs justify it. The implant itself is not even expensive.
    Hey man there is a doctor here that implants a lot of those spine stimulator’s. He is a pain doctor. Not sure how much further he would go but it’s worth a phone call.

You are unlikely to find a legitimate surgeon who would implant a device for or with other than it's FDA-approved purpose or method. Their liability insurance company would most likely cancel their policy, and they would leave themselves open to sanctions from their licensure board. Only within an FDA-approved clinical trial would this be allowed.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    You are unlikely to find a legitimate surgeon who would implant a device for or with other than it's FDA-approved purpose or method. Their liability insurance company would most likely cancel their policy, and they would leave themselves open to sanctions from their licensure board. Only within an FDA-approved clinical trial would this be allowed.

(KLD)
    Pretty sad that a an 45 min outpaitent procedure that is based off of decades old technology is impossible to get here in the USA outside of being one of the chosen few for research. The surgery is actually very similar to the ones implanted for pain, it is mostly about the settings and maybe some different placements of the leads. There is no timeline for when this may actually get to clinic and seemingly very little motivation.

I like to hear other’s opinions . It would be good if this technology improves over time , hopefully by then its doesn’t need to be implanted with battery pack ( I think the less stuffs implant the better). And the Epidural implant is more streamline with the battery enclosure and self charging using the body’s heat. I have a lot of hopes that this technology will help us SCI improves our daily life. It looks very promising.

Quote Originally Posted by steve nguyen View Post
    https://youtu.be/QjXDaWHr0l0

I don’t know if this video has posted yet.
    That seems to be about pain management, which is what the existing devices were originally intended for.