Thread: Reclining bath tub chair

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Reclining bath tub chair

Anyone had experience with these? Which is best?

https://www.spinlife.com/critpath/match.cfm?categoryID=285

https://www.mycarehomemedical.com/be...ite-477200252/
    https://mobilitybasics.ca/bath-lifts/aquatecj

I want to soak in a tub. Shower is OK but soaking would help with dry skin issues. Standing in shower I'm OK until spasms kick in, making for a dangerous situation. Due to this I don't bath as often as I should.
    C3 injury (7 yrs) with mid L issues from extreme use and age . My L's hurt like hell sometimes after shower. Correction; mid T's hurt- degenerative issue, L2 not aligned
    Last edited by Gearhead; 02-03-2019 at 10:02 PM.

Why I'm posting is I'm, being embarrassed, afraid of equipment like those. I am a worrier and fear of breakage, being trapped in folding parts, etc.
    My wife and I have separate bathrooms but both have roll-in showers. My shower chair is large so my shower is wider and deeper. I don't know if this is an option due to size, plumbing or room. But, I shower daily when able, sometimes health overrides, using shower head and use of handheld sprayer for areas that shower head makes harder to rinse. My main problem is our water bill and age of our water heater, 11 years with shorter time of hot water is making showers shorter. Hope water heater lasts til summer(Knock wood).
    My wife's roll-in shower is same size as where tub/shower combo was suppose to go but they tiled the walls and floor with same drainage as mine, all sloped to center of shower. Her chair is much smaller and she still gets some over spray water on tile floor outside of shower but our while home is all tile. She has a floor drying fan from Lowe's she uses to dry floor quicker.

We have one neighbor due to age had a walk-in tub, door that opens with a heated seat and jets built in the tub. He soaked and used a handheld sprayer because he could not get in regular tub/shower combo.

Other wise does your area have a rehab aquatic center? One of my brothers with a Rx from doctor had therapy 3 days a week that they used sling to lower in pool and a, I guess call it a in floor hot-tub, to soak with jets. He really enjoyed those trips and the exercise or whatever call it they done on him.
    "Good Luck!" and hope someone can give you positive feedback on the tub chairs you are looking to use.

I have a tub made by koehler seat is level with my wheelchair. Once in the side pulls up and seals, comes with jets. I often wait until the tub is about half full and then turn myself around so my body and back can go deaper and make more use of the jets.

Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
    Anyone had experience with these? Which is best?

https://www.spinlife.com/critpath/match.cfm?categoryID=285

https://www.mycarehomemedical.com/be...ite-477200252/
    https://mobilitybasics.ca/bath-lifts/aquatecj

I want to soak in a tub. Shower is OK but soaking would help with dry skin issues. Standing in shower I'm OK until spasms kick in, making for a dangerous situation. Due to this I don't bath as often as I should.
    C3 injury (7 yrs) with mid L issues from extreme use and age . My L's hurt like hell sometimes after shower.
    Those work fine if you can transfer easily and have decent balance. Actual soaking is not so easy for someone tall however or maybe most adults. Note the seats do not reach the floor of the tub, 2.5 or more inches from it. So you sit above the floor of the tub. And your backside will not be anywhere near the rear wall of the tub. You will be forced forward, which also pushes your knees up. It's impossible for me to submerge above maybe my bellybutton area. They work fine for washing, but soaking, not in my opinion.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I looked at one of the cocoon style tubs. Nice but $15k = out of reach and no where to put it.
    A remodel of 1 of 2 bath rooms is on wish list, but still in $15k range. If that happens, I'll go for a walk in tub.
    Bath room with tub has older, deeper, metal/enamel tub. I've read all the specs on the reclining chairs and think 2.5" from tub floor might be acceptable. I have a continuous rail all around my tub walls so I can grab anywhere. With extreme care, I can step into tub.
    My shower bathroom is OK but washing legs and feet hurts my back (also standing for too long) then I get spasms. Washing "privates" = spasms sometimes too. Spasms cause fear until I walk back to chair (4 small steps) , then I need a rest break (spasms = fatigue). My #1 goal is to not fall in bathroom because it may be months before I'm found. Explaining this to my family gets "deer in headlights" look as if I'm exaggerating. Hench I rarely ask for help. Just want to bath safely and casually instead of rushing before spasms begin.
    Rehab is not an option (Medicare only allows 10 hours per year and most OT/PT folks nowadays are lazy = waste of time) , the hospital pool is an option but I don't want to risk an infection (shared pools are nasty).
    My rant on OT/PT; 7 yrs since injury and maybe 10 hours of passive motion and stretch TOTAL (including 9 weeks in hospital). Asking nicely to be stretched gets "how dare you tell me what you need" look. Lots to tell but that's for another thread.

T4 complete

I've been using the Bellavita lift for years but one thing that you have to keep in mind is that the battery for any brand will always burn out after so many uses and to replace just the battery alone is pricey.
    I would ask the vendor if they can guarantee a lower price if you buy from them. I've seen better prices than the ones you post links to. The last one that I bought I paid $390 including shipping. So shop around.

I edited this post after reading other peoples comments about transfer issues. I'm a T4 complete no trunk support and I'm able to transfer easily.
    Last edited by cybermex; 02-07-2019 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Injury level