Thread: Home call system recommendation

Home call system recommendation

Hello,

My father who has a c5/c6 spinal cord injury moved in with me about a year ago. He has been calling me using Siri. However, he now has to use a CPAP machine (full mask) and is unable to remove the mask himself. I am looking for a home wireless paging system that he will be able to activate. He can move his arms a little and can let his hands fall on his chest. I tried out a few wireless systems from amazon but he didn?t have the strength to activate the push button. When he was in an inpatient therapy hospital he was able to activate a paddle type pager. However, I haven?t been able to find one online. Does anyone have any suggestions?

We set up a wireless doorbell for my mother that we bought at Home Depot, and it worked great. You might need to add a lever to the button to make it easier for him to use, and find the best way to mount it to his bed, but if you are handy, this should not be difficult.

Alternatively, you could use this, but it is not wireless, and would just ring a bell, which you would need to be close enough to hear:

E-Z Call: https://www.devinemedical.com/4130-Q...MaAkjPEALw_wcB

Also found this wireless system that could be used with the teepee E-Z call light above: https://www.devinemedical.com/712720.../am-712720.htm

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by rmarks70 View Post
    I am looking for a home wireless paging system that he will be able to activate.
    So, you want him to be able to call you while you are located within the home? (i.e., in another room, NOT in some other building, entirely)

He can move his arms a little and can let his hands fall on his chest.
    Can he move his hands (limbs) beyond his torso? E.g., could he lay his hand on a bedside table? If so, you could repurpose a PIR motion detector (the sort of thing that turns on the lights outside your home when someone approaches). Or, a "driveway alarm" (detects folks coming up your driveway). Etc.

I tried out a few wireless systems from amazon but he didn?t have the strength to activate the push button. When he was in an inpatient therapy hospital he was able to activate a paddle type pager. However, I haven?t been able to find one online. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Perhaps contact the hospital and ask them for the make/model of the unit?

Is this for whilst up in his chair or in bed? I've got a head switch pager that I use when in the chair made by Neat trex 2g http://www.neatelectronics.se/en/r_trex2g.htm you can get a pillow switch from Ablenet https://www.ablenetinc.com/pillow-switch for bed use to the same pager. Reasonable range, my support workers never get out of range even when outside.

With the Neat system you should be able to use any switch with a 3.5mm jack, there are a few switches around which require little force, something like that with the right switch should work