Thread: spine injury past...

spine injury past...

My niece is a basketball player. She represents her school team.
    A year ago she had some spinal injury. She has been through a minor surgery to fix it. Until then she was doing good.
    Ever since the surgery, she started practicing now(it has been three months).
    Last day she fell from her bicycle. She had a crack on her head. And it was fine. We didn't even fetch her to the hospital. But over a night things got changed. She started to feel severe lower back pain.Doc has adviced her to stop practicing for a while. More than the pain, she couldn't bear that. She has become very disappointed and angry! But I think physiotherapy might work with her recovery. Because when I talked with her doc, he almost confirmed that there is no need for further surgery. I've done research and found a clinic for sports physiotherapy near our home in Toronto. It will only take a 10-20minuits drive from our home to the clinic. But when I discussed with my brother(her father, he is currently in Vancouver) but he thinks it is better to follow the doc's advice.
    But I feel it as time-consuming, like having med and staying back home!
    Moreover, I don't want to make her worry! I know that much affection and passion she has towards basketball.
    Even though I'm her local guardian, I can't take chances when her bio dad has a disagreement.I'm ready to fetch her for the therapy from tomorrow, if I get an assurance from any people here who have been through sports physiotherapy(PS: I wish to hear from any patients who underwent the same or medical docs rather than therapists.)!

It is unclear what kind of injury your niece has. Where was her spinal injury, and did she also have a spinal CORD injury, which is the purpose of these forums. A spinal fracture without neurologic injury is very different from the paralysis and other effects of damage to the spinal cord which most people on these forums have.

Did your niece receive treatment for a concussion? Did she have Xrays or an MRI of her back after the fall from the bike? You need to provide a lot more information about what the physicians who treated her said she had as an injury, and why she needs to rest. Just because a clinic advertises itself as being a sports therapy clinic does not mean that they are going to know what restrictions, if any, she should have during her recovery. A good clinic would only accept her as a patient upon advice and prescription of limitations by the physician.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.