Thread: Colostomy + laxatives

Colostomy + laxatives

Does anyone know if you can take Senna with a colostomy?

TIA
    "We must become the change we want to see in the world." Gandhi

My doctor gave me the choice of senna/colace or Mirilax, just to keep things moving.

If I feel I may be stoved up; I'll take a couple of the Senna tablets. Usually by the end of the day or next morning, things are back to normal. With Sigmoid Loop colostomies, the stool can be somewhat loose so I take one Immodium tablet in the morning to keep things firmer. Helps bigtime.

You can take Senna with a colostomy. That being said, is there a reason that you need it? Have you tried adjusting your diet, fluids and activity first?

ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Yes, I have. I've determined that after 28 years of routine laxatives to stimulate, my intestines still need them for any sort of regularity.
    "We must become the change we want to see in the world." Gandhi