Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Intravesical gentamicin is a winner

Looks like something you would need if you are preparing a bio weapon in your basement, such as ricin or anthrax. I had a feeling this is what they were.

Do the vials pop open so you can dump in the contents or does one need a needle syringe to draw it out?

Do people use only commercially prepared saline or does anybody do this with their own saline according to the protocols that are established?

When we used this for our outpatients, it was prepared by a pharmacy (compounding pharmacy often) under a hood like this. This is the safest way to prepare it as you would want to avoid contamination by any bacteria, viruses, or fungi.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

you needle a needle to draw and sterile saline.
    Quote Originally Posted by crags View Post
    Looks like something you would need if you are preparing a bio weapon in your basement, such as ricin or anthrax. I had a feeling this is what they were.

Do the vials pop open so you can dump in the contents or does one need a needle syringe to draw it out?

Do people use only commercially prepared saline or does anybody do this with their own saline according to the protocols that are established?
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

so does your MD need to give an RX for needles/syringes? new needle every time a batch is mixed?

yes, and yes i use new everything each time, both cath tip syringes and draw syringes. both cheap with ins
    so does your MD need to give an RX for needles/syringes? new needle every time a batch is mixed?
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

My Medicare pharmacy provider does not cover needles. I'll have to check to see if Medicare covers needles/syringes for this purpose/diagnosis.

Do you get needles and syringes separate or reassembled? They are substantially cheaper if purchased separately.

i have done both. depends on how mckesson gets them. i prefer all in one. i get a case of 100
    My Medicare pharmacy provider does not cover needles. I'll have to check to see if Medicare covers needles/syringes for this purpose/diagnosis.

Do you get needles and syringes separate or reassembled? They are substantially cheaper if purchased separately.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

I'd be curious if Medicare covers. I have been paying out of pocket for years. About $20.00 for needles on Amazon or health supply. I pay $9.00 for boxes of 25, 60cc Cath Tip syringes. It's worth it to prevent UTI's. I hit a period at about 25 years post-injury where I started getting recurring infections. irrigation / instillation has been literally life saving game changer for me.

Did you try going through Medicare? It should be covered as long as you have a physician order. It is certainly not an experimental procedure, so I would believe it is. I am trying to remember back to my outpatient days and while that was a little while ago, I believe it was covered then. Any $$ in your pocket is worth the inquiry.

ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Getting set up to start this protocol definitely requires some forethought. I need to have all my specific information at hand when I see my urologist in 10 days.

What size needles, syringes and type are people using? Looking at the purchasing specifications required one needs to know the ml syringe size, gauge, length, and luer/non luer syringe type.

The gentamicin vial from my Medicare part D provider is a 2ml vial. I guess if one gets a bigger syringe, one can empty the contents of several vials sequentially before dumping the gent load into the saline, rather than going in and out after each vial.

This link seems to have some valid information regarding Medicare coverage for needles. There seems to be some wiggle room. My part D plan definitely said no.

Getting it covered under part B would probably require either me submitting the claim or the supplier doing so, similar to catheter supplies.

https://www.medicaremd.com/what-does...-medicare.html