Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Intravesical gentamicin is a winner

The instructions from Seattle Children's Hospital are specific in terms of supplies needed and protocol for mixing.

https://www.seattlechildrens.org/pdf/PE1769.pdf

This seems like a pain in the ass. As per the research protocol I posted previously, I planned on making several day's batch (10 days max for home-based patients), removing two days at a time and proceeding from there.

I could possibly see dropping down to a 5 day batch, but preparing it this way for every dose is going to be another task my caregivers have to learn and I have to supervise.

the vials mixed in saline is fine for a week. heck, the vials dont even expire for a year
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by crags View Post
    This seems like a pain in the ass. As per the research protocol I posted previously, I planned on making several day's batch (10 days max for home-based patients), removing two days at a time and proceeding from there.

I could possibly see dropping down to a 5 day batch, but preparing it this way for every dose is going to be another task my caregivers have to learn and I have to supervise.
    I do 2 -1 ml ampules, so, 2ml mixed to 1,000 ML Saline and get 16 days no problems @ 60cc's a dose. I keep it refrigerated.

Two questions:
    1. Does one have to shake up the saline/gentamicin solution to distribute it evenly before taking out a dose? Or does it stay evenly suspended after the initial mixing?

2. Do people buy the preassembled syringes or the needle and syringe separately? I saw one website where they were about $.40 apiece for a preassembled unit which is quite inexpensive. If one is mixing three times a week or 12 times a month that is a little over four dollars for the month. What size needle/syringe do people get?

Thanks.

My usual urologist (not a neuro- urologist) was uncomfortable writing the gentamicin Rx and endorsing the instillation protocol. He referred me to a partner at the practice who is a neuro- urologist and who does my Botox every year. He was unconvinced as to its efficacy. He said he had a few patients but his experience left him unmoved. I didn't press him to ask him for the RX regardless of his experience.

Both of the urologists mentioned instillation of, get this, Betadine. Has anybody heard of this or done it? The neuro- urologist said to put it in full strength and then let it run out. There was scant information on it available on the Internet. What I did see mentioned 50 mL of 2%. I'm leery about this. The Betadine that we buy comes in various strengths including 10%. That is quite different than 2%.

Thoughts on the matter? I really was hoping they would write me the RX and let me do a three month trial.