Thread: catheter question-what size balloon should I use?

catheter question-what size balloon should I use?

I?ve been using catheters w/a 30cc balloon becuz the ones w/smaller ones would want to come out of my SP stoma.

I was recently advised to switch back because the larger balloon is too heavy and presses against the bladder and can tilt, scraping and damaging the bladder wall.

Don?t know who to believe!
    "courage is fear that has said its prayers"

This discussion is from the Continence Product Advisor website: https://www.continenceproductadvisor...sizeshouldiuse

What size catheter should I use?

• Urethral catheters are most frequently used in the sizes 10-12 Ch/Fr for women and 10-16 Ch/Fr for men.
    • The most commonly used size for adult supra-pubic catheter users is between 12-16 Ch/Fr.
    • The urine drainage port will usually have the catheter size printed on (e.g. 10 Ch, 12 Ch).
    • Your healthcare professional should advise you on the best catheter size, you should be using the smallest size to maintain good drainage and prevent urethral and bladder neck trauma.

Why do indwelling catheters have a balloon?

• The balloon is inflated after the catheter has been inserted and holds the catheter in place inside the bladder.
    • Inside standard (two-way) catheters, there are two separate channels; one is the drainage port and the other is the balloon port, which allows sterile water to be introduced to inflate the small balloon near the tip that holds the catheter in place.

Which balloon size should I use?

• A 10ml balloon is recommended as standard for adults and 2.5-5ml for children.
    • Larger sizes are available but it is recommended that the smallest balloon size is used, where possible, to prevent bladder discomfort and irritation.
    • Larger balloons tend to sit higher in the bladder and there is the potential for urine to collect below the catheter eyes, preventing the bladder from draining fully.
    • The use of larger balloons is also associated with increased risk of bladder spasms which may cause the catheter to be forced out with the balloon still inflated and cause damage to the delicate tissue of the urethra and the bladder neck.
    • The size of the balloon is usually printed on the balloon port of the catheter. It is important that the balloon is inflated with the correct amount of sterile water so the balloon sits comfortably just inside the bladder.
    • There is some evidence that using sterile water to inflate the balloon in silicone catheters can lead to gradual water loss from the balloon. This could lead to the catheter falling out. Some manufacturers recommend either filling the balloon with a 10% aqueous glycerine solution, or filling the balloon with the full 10ml and being aware that ? to ? could be lost over time.

So it seems that the smaller the balloon, the better. Possible you experienced leakage around the balloon because the right amount of sterile water wasn't used in the balloon. Below is a chart with balloon inflation guidelines.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    This discussion is from the Continence Product Advisor website: https://www.continenceproductadvisor...sizeshouldiuse

What size catheter should I use?

• Urethral catheters are most frequently used in the sizes 10-12 Ch/Fr for women and 10-16 Ch/Fr for men.
    • The most commonly used size for adult supra-pubic catheter users is between 12-16 Ch/Fr.
    • The urine drainage port will usually have the catheter size printed on (e.g. 10 Ch, 12 Ch).
    • Your healthcare professional should advise you on the best catheter size, you should be using the smallest size to maintain good drainage and prevent urethral and bladder neck trauma.

Why do indwelling catheters have a balloon?

• The balloon is inflated after the catheter has been inserted and holds the catheter in place inside the bladder.
    • Inside standard (two-way) catheters, there are two separate channels; one is the drainage port and the other is the balloon port, which allows sterile water to be introduced to inflate the small balloon near the tip that holds the catheter in place.

Which balloon size should I use?

• A 10ml balloon is recommended as standard for adults and 2.5-5ml for children.
    • Larger sizes are available but it is recommended that the smallest balloon size is used, where possible, to prevent bladder discomfort and irritation.
    • Larger balloons tend to sit higher in the bladder and there is the potential for urine to collect below the catheter eyes, preventing the bladder from draining fully.
    • The use of larger balloons is also associated with increased risk of bladder spasms which may cause the catheter to be forced out with the balloon still inflated and cause damage to the delicate tissue of the urethra and the bladder neck.
    • The size of the balloon is usually printed on the balloon port of the catheter. It is important that the balloon is inflated with the correct amount of sterile water so the balloon sits comfortably just inside the bladder.
    • There is some evidence that using sterile water to inflate the balloon in silicone catheters can lead to gradual water loss from the balloon. This could lead to the catheter falling out. Some manufacturers recommend either filling the balloon with a 10% aqueous glycerine solution, or filling the balloon with the full 10ml and being aware that ? to ? could be lost over time.

So it seems that the smaller the balloon, the better. Possible you experienced leakage around the balloon because the right amount of sterile water wasn't used in the balloon. Below is a chart with balloon inflation guidelines.
    this is really helpful-thanks!
    "courage is fear that has said its prayers"