Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: flicka. for those who knew her

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

flicka. for those who knew her

posted w/permission of her son.
    • Sandra Lee Dukes (flicka) passed away at home on January 27th 2019 under the care of Hospice and her loving family. In April 1952, flicka was the 500th baby born at Paso Robles War Memorial Hospital and the third daughter for her parents Roland and Georgia Christopher. When she was born her grandmother remarked, ?it?s another flicka? (the swedish word for little girl) and forever she would be called by that name. She grew up on Geneseo Rd and was a student in the last class to ever attend school at the one room Geneseo schoolhouse. Unique and adventurous from the start, flicka was a pioneer as a woman in the skilled trades. She learned machining from her Dad by working alongside him in his Machine Shop. Later she would complete a machinist apprenticeship through her employer, PG&E. After a disabling accident in 1985, flicka became an advocate for the disabled. She co-founded SLOCO access in 1995 and started mergingTimes magazine in 1997 where she was Editor and Publisher. Her goal was to gain equal rights and access for the disabled and she strove to increase awareness of the challenges differently abled people face.
      Flicka was an animal lover. If she found an orphaned baby, no matter the species, she would try to raise it up. She was also a friend to all and everyone that she knew considered her to be their very best friend.
      Flicka is survived by her loving husband of 33 years Bill Dukes, and her children Robert (Lisa) Ezell, Wyndi (Brendan) Cashman, Justin (Denise) Ezell, Jaime (Carlos) Galli, Levi (Heather) Dukes and Jacob (Nickie) Dukes, her 21 grandchildren and 1 great grandchild. She is also survived by her sister Claudia Ryan, her brother Leonard (Mary) Christopher and sister-in-laws Karen (Darren) Fournier and Debbie (Bill) Thomas. She was preceded in death by her parents and her sister Kathy Wehinger.
      A celebration of her life will be held on Saturday, February 2nd at the American Legion Hall in Templeton at 1 pm.
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 01-29-2019 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Cleaned up post

Saddened to read of her passing. I recall Flicka best from posting on the old "New Mobility" board. Very intelligent and never seemed to let her disablity get in the way of her living life fully.

Condolences to her family. Rest in Peace Flicka.

Thanks for posting Cass.
    Last edited by ChesBay; 01-29-2019 at 02:49 PM.

I remember Flicka from my earliest years at CC - as ChesBay says, she didn't let much get her down. Thank you for letting us know, Cass.
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Yes, I remember her from both the old NM forum and here in the early days of CC. Sounds like she lived a purposeful and fulfilling life. RIP.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

tried to post flicka's pic with son's permission. wouldn't go through on this site.

Quote Originally Posted by cass View Post
    tried to post flicka's pic with son's permission. wouldn't go through on this site.
    I found her on-line obituary here: https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/sa...&pid=191401133

Her photo was included:

(KLD)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

thanks kld,but i have more recent one i wanted to share. when i use insert image, it wants url.

Quote Originally Posted by cass View Post
    thanks kld,but i have more recent one i wanted to share. when i use insert image, it wants url.
    To post a photo from your computer, use the Advance (Go Advanced) button feature and then click on the little paper clip icon. This will allow you to attach a jpg, giff, png, pdf, or other file (as listed).

(KLD)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Beautiful photographs and memorial. Flicka was a trailblazer!
    Thanks for posting Cass and KLD.