Thread: Your top tips when buying a new vehicle as a manual wheelchair user who transfers

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete

Your top tips when buying a new vehicle as a manual wheelchair user who transfers

Looking like our trusty 2006 honda crv is going to becoming to an early demise (147,000).

So in the process of figuring out which vehicles will make the short list, but never having bought a new vehicle as a wheelchair user wondering what kind of deals folks manage to get or look for out of the dealership/manufacturer etc?

Example, do dealers offer deals on hand controls and such like?
    Any kind of body work protection from the constant banding of the wheelchair etc?

or anything else folks have figured out.

Cheers.

i loved the volvo wagons, easy transfer and lots of room
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

dealers don't install or offer deals on hand controls, but most manufacturers offer rebates towards hand controls and accessibility products and conversions. just google the manufacturers name + mobility.

also, don't be afraid to play hard ball with the sales person, never accept the first, or even the second offer. counter with $1,000 to $2,000 less than they offer. and never buy on the first visit. make them think you're shopping around.

I believe there are also issues with hand control installation in many new cars due to airbag location. Perhaps others here who are more knowledgeable about this could comment on any cars that don't have this problem.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by micah_d View Post
    also, don't be afraid to play hard ball with the sales person, never accept the first, or even the second offer. counter with $1,000 to $2,000 less than they offer. and never buy on the first visit. make them think you're shopping around.
    An excellent resource for negotiation with car salesmen:

https://www.reddit.com/r/IBoughtACarOneTime/

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    I believe there are also issues with hand control installation in many new cars due to airbag location. Perhaps others here who are more knowledgeable about this could comment on any cars that don't have this problem.

(KLD)
    I would imagine that would be a knee airbag. I haven't personally done this yet, but from what I gather it is as simple as removing the offending device and putting the appropriate value resister into the wiring plug for the now-missing airbag so the computer thinks it is still there and doesn't throw a malfunction light. Some time spent with a wiring diagram, a multimeter, and random online electronic component sources are preferred to paying a mobility dealer some ridiculous amount of money for the equivalent solution

Most manufacturers have a rebate on the hand controls. BUT now they are making you get them put on by someone "certified" to do it or they won't pay for them. Check per company. That I can tell the installers won't put on old ones they say you have to buy a new set. I've seen some good work from people putting them on and some crap, even unsafe work from a certified installer. Be fussy and careful.

Microsoft Word makes wonderful receipts. The manufacturer just cares that their dealer actually witnesses hand controls on the vehicle and signs off to that fact. Money in the bank. Make sure receipt is $998 or so too, lol

I'd tell you a VW Golf or GTI 2dr, but they were (stupidly!) deleted in 2016.

VW reimbursed me !K$ twice for the same controls I built in 06 and 16; I submitted a bill from the foreign car shop I owned; we weren't a crip provider and no questions were asked. Being a private citizen might be a problem but I'd certainly try it!

I second the Volvo recommendation. Before buying two GTIs new (06 & 15) I drove a 95 Volvo 855 Turbo too long, but it was not bad for a sled.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Thanks for the tips.. appreciated.

Started another thread to talk about the actual vehicle available to us in 2019.. what you like don't like etc..

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...-go-for-or-not

Agree to the VW.
    I hurried and bought a 2016 GTI because they were phasing them out. So annoying.

Here's what I look for
    - 2 doors (or a wide enough door to get the chair frame in over you)
    - hatch back (is ideal when with a friend because the whole chair can often fit in the back without having to disassemble it and you can leave the back seat behind the passenger seat down to throw the wheels back there everything won't get as filthy)
    - little to no centre console between the front two seats (or else you just trash it over time)
    - seat height (getting into a chair from a lower car seat really sucks, especially if its icy or there is gravel on the ground)