Thread: Big issue or not really??

Big issue or not really??

After having strong nausea and some puking when I attempted to eat or drink I did travel to the ER recently as yesterday. After having assistance pooping and getting rehydrated the on-call resident who reviewed my file said she was alarmed by the ?amount of poop? on your x-ray

My question is, is it normal to see a lot of poop On an abdominal x-ray of a person who has had a spinal cord injury? You sound like a dumb question but would like to find some mor
    C4/5 incomplete, 17 years since injury

"The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” - Carlos Castaneda

"We live not alone but chained to a creature of a different kingdom: our body." - Marcel Proust

It is not uncommon to have more than the normal amount of stool in the large intestine for people with SCI compared to ABs, but with your symptoms the physician may be right. Did they say you had an impaction? This can cause nausea and vomiting, as can an ileus (where there is no peristalsis in the intestine).

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

A CAT scan was also done which showed no blockage, no perforation and no ileus. They helped me have a large BM with stronger laxatives, gave me fluids via an IV and did bloodwork all which helped. During the whole time I had no and I have no symptoms of autonomic dysreflexia.
    The situation became very frustrating when the DR on the floor kept requesting I stay for observation and barely seemed to hear my point of view. It became a twilight zone of stay for observation first through the next night and do an abdominal x-ray in the morning...then stay another day and night and do another x-ray in the morning...then just stay the weekend. No thanks, I could get better care at home with my caregiver. The Dr on the floor didn’t appreciate that I had my own independent decisions I was capable of using. So I signed myself out, went home and had a good weekend.
    Q
    C4/5 incomplete, 17 years since injury

"The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” - Carlos Castaneda

"We live not alone but chained to a creature of a different kingdom: our body." - Marcel Proust

Good for you!!

I did that once, including pulling my IV. Got some people real upset!
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Whenever I've tried to leave the hospital early, they've threatened me that Medicare might not cover the stay at all if I did leave early. I don't know if it's a real threat, I never called their bluff.
    Last edited by xsfxsf; 01-27-2019 at 01:53 AM.