Thread: help! sediment has become my enemy

help! sediment has become my enemy

Can one w/an indwelling catheter expect to always have sediment whether or not they have a bladder infection? Or is sediment always a symptom OF an infection?

my sediment is enough to clog my catheter about every two weeks.

I take calcium supplements normally and am wondering if they've been the cause of my sediment but I read another post that mentioned calcium leaching out of bones that were unused due to SCI.

can sediment be caused be either of these factors?
    "courage is fear that has said its prayers"

What kind of catheter (material) are you using. Latex is most likely to accumulate sediment; silicone, Silastic or Teflon coated less so.

How much fluid do you drink daily? Concentrated urine is more likely to precipitate out sediment.

Have you been screened for stones (entire urinary tract) recently (in the last 6-12 months)? Often people with stones have sediment too.

Do you regularly irrigate your catheter? If so, with what? 1-2X daily Renacidin instillations (not irrigation) can help with some sediment accumulation.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    What kind of catheter (material) are you using. Latex is most likely to accumulate sediment; silicone, Silastic or Teflon coated less so.

How much fluid do you drink daily? Concentrated urine is more likely to precipitate out sediment.

Have you been screened for stones (entire urinary tract) recently (in the last 6-12 months)? Often people with stones have sediment too.

Do you regularly irrigate your catheter? If so, with what? 1-2X daily Renacidin instillations (not irrigation) can help with some sediment accumulation.

(KLD)
    silicone/silicone coated latex, 7-9 glasses of distilled water, negative CT scan a few months ago, and did a few irrig. w/a vinegar/water solution recently.

what is an instillation? and I'm not familiar w/Renacid..
    "courage is fear that has said its prayers"

Irrigation is flushing the catheter and bladder (push fluid in, suck kit out). Instillation is putting fluid gently into the bladder to administer a medication (such as Renacidin or gentamicin). Ideally once the fluid is instilled, the catheter should be clamped and the solution allowed to "dwell" for 10-20 minutes (as long as this does not cause AD), then allowed to drain by gravity.

Renacidin is a commercial chemical (Citric acid 6.602g, glucono-delta-lactone 198mg, magnesium carbonate 3.177g; per 100mL; irrigation solution, pH 3.85) used by many urologists to dissolve and prevent the accumulation of encrustations on indwelling urinary catheters.

Our urologists no longer use acetic acid (vinegar) for any urinary irrigations or instillations as it has failed to be shown effective in research studies.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I am having similar issues with my indwelling catheter. I use a latex 18 Fr coude catheter. Prior to my sediment issues I could go four weeks between catheter changes. Over the past four months my catheter has been clogging with sediment in just two weeks. Changing the catheter normally solves the problem until it returns again after about two weeks.

I do attempt to drink approximately three liters of water per day to keep myself hydrated and to keep my system flushed, but it's the same result after about two weeks.

About a year ago I had an ultrasound on my bladder and kidneys that showed no signs of stones or any irregularity.

I do have an irrigation kit that my Wife and I have attempted to use, but typically the quick fix is to replace the catheter.

I'm concerned that I might have some underlying issue that is causing the sediment or the skin shedding and it's also getting to be expensive as I pay for all of my urological supplies out of pocket.

Looking for any suggestions. Thank you.

have another ultrasound to check for stones i would irrigate everyday to hopefully avoid having to change it every 2 weeks. this may help keep it in check.
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

Quote Originally Posted by douglastneidermeyer View Post
    I am having similar issues with my indwelling catheter. I use a latex 18 Fr coude catheter.
    Have you tried using a Teflon or Silastic coated or silicone catheter? Much less likely to accumulate encrustations than latex.

I do have an irrigation kit that my Wife and I have attempted to use, but typically the quick fix is to replace the catheter.
    Have you done routine preventive daily irrigations? Have you tried using 1-2X daily Renacidin instillations (not the same as irrigation)?

I'm concerned that I might have some underlying issue that is causing the sediment or the skin shedding.
    What do you mean by "skin shedding"?

(KLD)