Thread: Diarrhea BM Question HELP

Diarrhea BM Question HELP

Hey guys!

So I have a question regarding my bowel program. I do my bm on Monday Wednesday and Friday mornings. Friday night I got violently ill, was throwing up and having severe diarrhea multiple times an hour. Saturday I went to the ER, they gave me fluids and antibiotics for flu/food poisoning symptoms I guess. Our local hospital is definitely not the best. I was sent home and had continuous diarrhea multiple times an hour until late Sunday night/early Monday morning. I took Imodium and it?s since stopped. Dr said it would be good to give my bowel time to heal and not do my bowel routine till Friday. Is it ok to not do bowels till Friday? I?m currently on a very bland diet of toast and bananas. This was a weekend of like straight hourly diarrhea for three days. I feel ok even tho I haven?t done a BM, no AD or anything. Just looking for advice.

Quote Originally Posted by jhm View Post
    Hey guys!

So I have a question regarding my bowel program. I do my bm on Monday Wednesday and Friday mornings. Friday night I got violently ill, was throwing up and having severe diarrhea multiple times an hour. Saturday I went to the ER, they gave me fluids and antibiotics for flu/food poisoning symptoms I guess. Our local hospital is definitely not the best. I was sent home and had continuous diarrhea multiple times an hour until late Sunday night/early Monday morning. I took Imodium and it?s since stopped. Dr said it would be good to give my bowel time to heal and not do my bowel routine till Friday. Is it ok to not do bowels till Friday? I?m currently on a very bland diet of toast and bananas. This was a weekend of like straight hourly diarrhea for three days. I feel ok even tho I haven?t done a BM, no AD or anything. Just looking for advice.
    Did they do a stool culture to identify if you had food poisoning caused by bacteria or by a virus. Antibiotics would not be advised for food poisoning caused by a virus. And antibiotics for the flu would only be advised if you were presenting with secondary bacterial infections. What antibiotic were you prescribed? How long of a course?

Easing back into a normal diet is probably a good idea and since you're only about 72 hours until your regularly scheduled Friday bowel program, you will probably be okay to resume your routine bowel program then. Bananas, rice, boiled potatoes, plain toast, applesauce maybe good foods to eat to rest your digestive system. Stay hydrated. Start taking a probiotic supplement. Natural probiotics like yogurt maybe helpful to re-establish nature intestinal flora, but in some people dairy based sources of probiotics may be an irritant. Antibiotics can also cause upset to the normal function of your intestinal tract, so be aware that the antibiotics you are taking may play a role in causing either more diarrhea or even constipation.

Good luck, feel better.

Flu does not cause diarrhea or vomiting (it is a respiratory illness). Most likely you had either a viral or bacterial gastroenteritis, or food poisoning.

When did you have your last loose stool? Are you still on Imodium? Transit time for people with SCI in the cervical or high thoracic area is typically 72 hours or even longer, so it is most likely fine to delay doing bowel care until 3 days after you started eating. Keep in mind that up to 1/3 of the volume of your stool is dead cells from your GI tract, so you make stool even if you are not eating.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.