Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Celebrate life!

Celebrate life!

Totally off topic, I know, but I had to share the brand new hummingbird nest and eggs I discovered in my rose bushes when pruning yesterday. The nest was empty then, but when I checked again this morning, there were two tiny eggs. This brings me joy, and I hope it does for you too!

(KLD)
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Oh, KLD, thank you! This fills me with joy, too!
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

I don't think it is off topic at all and has the perfect title. Thank you and Amen!
    From the time you were born till you ride in a hearse, there is nothing so bad that it couldn't be worse!

All fringe benifits must be authorized by Helen Waite, if you want your SCI fixed go to Helen Waite!

Why be politically correct when you can be right!

Indeed. Today was a good day for me too: several Bluejays, Cardinals, in addition to the usual Sparrows, Doves and Juncos. Looking forward to the Chipmunks coming out of their winters nap.

no I love hummers now you gonna have to please tak pictures of parents and young tks

Quote Originally Posted by vjls View Post
    no I love hummers now you gonna have to please tak pictures of parents and young tks
    Yes! This!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    Yes! This!
    yep, more pictures of the family. First nest I ever saw with all the 'spider web' at top, guess that's 'insulation' THANKS!

Quote Originally Posted by CapnGimp View Post
    yep, more pictures of the family. First nest I ever saw with all the 'spider web' at top, guess that's 'insulation' THANKS!
    I love how spiderwebs have also been used to anchor the nest to plant stalks...wow, that's ingenious and impressive.

The white is a mix of dandelion fluff and spider webs, the best I can tell (there are a bunch of dandelions right next to my rose beds).

I will try to get some more photos, but don't want to scare away the parents. They will abandon a nest if disturbed too much. Ruby throats such as these hatch in 14-16 days, and then take another 4-5 weeks or fledge (leave the nest).

If you are interested in live hummingbird nest cams, this is one of the best I have found (located very near the town in Southern California where I grew up): https://explore.org/.../hummingbirds/bella-hummingbird-nest

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    I will try to get some more photos, but don't want to scare away the parents. They will abandon a nest if disturbed too much. Ruby throats such as these hatch in 14-16 days, and then take another 4-5 weeks or fledge (leave the nest).

If you are interested in live hummingbird nest cams, this is one of the best I have found (located very near the town in Southern California where I grew up): https://explore.org/.../hummingbirds/bella-hummingbird-nest

(KLD)
    Oh no, wouldn't want to scare them at all!

That nest cam link is much appreciated, I'll bookmark it.