Thread: New bed suggestions and info

New bed suggestions and info

hi everyone no sure if this is best spot to post but if not please move it ... any way I?m in the market for a new bed and need one bad but I don?t want to buy a regular hospital bed as I have been using a sleep number bed for years and years and love it but time for a new bed I feel, so has anyone or does anyone know if insurance will help pay for a bed as I medically can prove I need certain features and well stuff ... so can or will insurance help pay for a bed that?s not a hospital bed ??? Any info will help thanks

Please clarify if you are looking for a bed frame, or a mattress, or both.

Medicare will not pay for anything but a hospital bed frame, and has pretty limited coverage for specialty/pressure reducing mattresses as well. For the bed frame, they will pay for a semi-electric rental for up to 1 year with medical justification, and then purchase that frame for you. Many other insurances use the Medicare guidelines on this equipment as well.

Here is a summary of the Medicare rules about specialty mattresses:
    https://www.cms.gov/Outreach-and-Edu...ads/SE1014.pdf

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I have private insurance I’m wondering badicslly if any has had any luck with getting a real bed mattress and adjustable frame paid for , kinda like a sleep number bed perfect for pressure relief as I have an older one now but I know insurance will pay for a small adjustable hospital bed but not sure about a big real bed that serves same purpose?

Most insurances, as above, follow Medicare guidelines, so will not pay for "regular" beds, including Sleep Number. Sleep Number refuses to release their interface pressure testing data, and has not applied through the FDA to get their beds/mattresses classified as medical equipment, so is not covered. If you have Worker's Comp, you might get them to buy that, but I know that Medicare, Medicaid, most private insurances, and even the VA do not.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Thanks for the info it’s much appreciated.

I needed a new low air loss mattress because mine was bad. Medicare said no unless I had skin break down. Brought a one out of pocket to prevent that problem. Lasted 1 1/2 years, now near flat when I wake up. I'll be looking for a non air bed now.

Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
    I needed a new low air loss mattress because mine was bad. Medicare said no unless I had skin break down. Brought a one out of pocket to prevent that problem. Lasted 1 1/2 years, now near flat when I wake up. I'll be looking for a non air bed now.
    Yes, as described in the link I posted above, Medicare criteria for a LAL (Group 2 mattress) requires that you have at least a stage II pressure injury or recent flap surgery. Unfortunately, they do not consider a Group 2 mattress a medical necessity for prevention. Note that the Select Comfort mattresses are not rated as even a Group 1 mattress by Medicare, so they don't cover them at all.

(KLD)