Thread: Slow walkers

Slow walkers

I get so annoyed with people everywhere (on the sidewalk, in stores, at work, at the grocery store in restaurants, etc, etc, etc) who walk soooooooo slooooooooow. Sure I probably used to walk the same speed as them when I had two functioning legs, but now those bastards are just in the way (feel like I'm channeling Bill Burr here ranting about how the world is overpopulated and there are too many people who seem to do nothing but get in the way).

I live in a very walkable downtown in the southeast (shocking, I know), and I kind of expect walkers to be in the way on the downhills, but y'all know how you've got to maintain a certain speed going uphill or it just gets annoying trying to keep the front wheels from coming up off of the ground with each push, and people tend to get in the way on uphill climbs as well.

Years ago when I was newly injured I used to worry about how normal people viewed me and my new awkward method of ambulating and doing everything (for about three weeks till i said 'fuck it'). It's been so long since I cared what everyone else thinks about me while I get where i need to get that I do sometimes wonder how I come off flying around elderly couples and young children on the downhills and skidding tires around corners (I wonder about it, but still don't care, it's not like I can/am-going-to change anything). I keep getting the image of the weird kid in high school who used to sprint full speed across the quad between every single class, holding onto his backpack straps with both hands to keep it from flapping around... I used to absolutely love when I was responding to codes in the hospital because I could go balls to the walls as fast as I want, grabbing onto handrails to whip around corners, hitting 8 mph or so down congested corridors, zipping around startled phlebotomists pushing their bloody carts, and nobody could get annoyed with me because they heard the code overhead just like I did. It was a weird, but nice, kind of freedom.

Anyway... surely I'm not the only one who gets so annoyed with people walking slowly. Hell, I gotta get stuff done. If i have to spend 2 hours a day in the bathroom more than the average AB, I sure as shit want to ambulate at a comfortably rapid pace to make up a few of those minutes. Normal walking speed is about 3 mph, I figure 5 mph is as slow as I really ever want to go (of course I'll slow down if some ABs are walking with me), it feels inefficient to push more slowly, like I'm spending more calories per miles or whatever (you know what I mean).

Also... "Slow down or I'll give you a speeding ticket" is the lamest joke ever... do people really think they're the first ones to come up with that?

get a kids bicycle horn!
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

I get annoyed with the walkers too. I feel like I should not but I do, almost all the time. I feel like I am always waiting for someone to get out of my way and they do not have to be going slow. Just slower than me and I know I go at a faster pace than most anyone walking. I try not to but I cannot seem to make myself go any slower

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post
    get a kids bicycle horn!
    I think a more alpha male solution is in order. Absolutely guaranteed to remove any obstructing individual...

https://www.amazon.com/HornBlasters-.../dp/B001UOJ99I

SW Colorado---chair user from nerve disorder
    I feel this way too, down to Bill Burr and the ‘in the way people’. Sometimes I just loudly say ‘excuse me!’ and they practically leap all over themselves to get out of the way of the ‘wheelchair person’. Ha ha ha ha ha!
    chair user since 2009 from a neurological disorder

Quote Originally Posted by Sarafino View Post
    I feel this way too, down to Bill Burr and the ‘in the way people’. Sometimes I just loudly say ‘excuse me!’ and they practically leap all over themselves to get out of the way of the ‘wheelchair person’. Ha ha ha ha ha!
    Luckily my 8 year old wheelchair rattles enough (at least on sidewalks) that people can hear me coming... and I probably sound louder than I actually am with all the jingling and clanking and grinding sounds.

I careen down a grade and hit one of those blind people bump pads in a curb cut while crossing an alley way. Interesting seeing people jump when they hear that behind them, lol.

Good post Funklab
    So a couple weeks ago i am trying out my upgraded smart drive with the new mx2 wristband in the airport. (I live in cold state ice and snow and haven't use SD outside since upgrade) Anyway I am cruising along have a pretty good lane and i am about to pass an old lady on the right. She suddenly takes a sharp right in front of me in an unexpected move towards the ladies room. I don't have time to stop and basically panic take hard right go right over her toes and end up partially in the womens bathroom bracing against the wall trying to stay in my chair finally get SD disengaged and she is apologizing profusely to me! I just ran over her foot! I apologized and made sure she was ok then proceeded a little more carefully.

Wow...I just am amazed about how you think that you don't have to be respectful and mindful of other people using sidewalk space. Able bodied (ABs) people put up with the slow and meandering, ABs too, but what do you think...you are so special. Most ABs have no experience with people who navigate in wheelchairs. Yeah! It would be nice if we all had some kind of etiquette radar for each and everyone using sidewalks. What etiquette would you advise for wheelers on the sidewalks.

So many pedestrians, so little time.