Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: car cushions

Quote Originally Posted by ChesBay View Post
    It should stay in place if you leave the cover on.

My car has leather seats so I have always left the cover off , if the cushion shifts at all when I transfer in I can move the roho around easier with cover off.

One thought not related, I live in Virginia where it can get very hot in the summer. If I am going to leave it in the car during hot weather I deflate cushion so it won't expand and spring a leak. A low profile inflates quickly.
    Thanks for the tip...Just to clarify you leave your car seat covers off? I will have to be aware of the heat thing being in Queensland.

Quote Originally Posted by lurch View Post
    Thanks for the tip...Just to clarify you leave your car seat covers off? I will have to be aware of the heat thing being in Queensland.
    Sorry if I wasn't clear... I leave the cover off of my Roho low profile cushion. I would suggest trying the cushion with cover on and off and see which suits you best. With the cushion cover off I find it easiest to manuver the roho around to get it exactly where I want it while sittting on it in the car after transfer. On the leather car seat it moves pretty easily and I am lifting myself up a bit as I adjust it. It might not shift on you at all when you transfer , with or without cover, and I am only talking about an inch or two in my circumstance.

I did think you are in Southern hemisphere and the middle of summer. A car with closed windows can get pretty hot.

Good luck. I think you are smart to be driving on a cushion.

Quote Originally Posted by lurch View Post
    Hey Lurch, I left a visitor's message on your home page, but no sure if you got it. I wanted to follow up with you and see if utilizing the ROHO helped with the pressure to your sacral area. I have a sports car which is a little on the low side, but the bigger issue (I think) are the seat bolsters, which I think just beat up my newly-healed tailbone scar.

The bolsters are those raised portions on the side of the seats to provide side-support for your legs. They're not really great for making transfers easy, however...I'm not sure if simply putting a ROHO there will help 100% or if I'm going to have to consider a custom driver's seat.
    No one ever became unsuccessful by helping others out

I use elephant fat then put a seat cover over it

Quote Originally Posted by Tufelhunden View Post
    Hey Lurch, I left a visitor's message on your home page, but no sure if you got it. I wanted to follow up with you and see if utilizing the ROHO helped with the pressure to your sacral area. I have a sports car which is a little on the low side, but the bigger issue (I think) are the seat bolsters, which I think just beat up my newly-healed tailbone scar.

The bolsters are those raised portions on the side of the seats to provide side-support for your legs. They're not really great for making transfers easy, however...I'm not sure if simply putting a ROHO there will help 100% or if I'm going to have to consider a custom driver's seat.
    Not sure what the seat bolsters have to do with where you sit when you drive? The transfer onto the bolster when getting in your car is not long enough to do any damage. You'll be fine with a Roho on your seat.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad09 View Post
    Not sure what the seat bolsters have to do with where you sit when you drive? The transfer onto the bolster when getting in your car is not long enough to do any damage. You'll be fine with a Roho on your seat.
    I agree, the bolsters on my seat are pretty high. I drive with a low-profile (two-inch) Roho... when I do forget to grab the cushion for the car, it's definitely a big difference in my transfer. Too lazy to go back inside for it, Ha!
    Little more difficult to get in/out for the transfer, when I'm not using the Roho. I'm T-10 level. It's way more comfy for driving also. I'm 6'2" and still have plenty of head room.

Airhawk motorcycle cushions are the same design as Roho (I think they were made by Roho at one point) and a lot cheaper. You can find 'em on eBay for $50. I have a few - on my handcycle, spare chair, and in the car for long trips.

Quote Originally Posted by nick View Post
    I agree, the bolsters on my seat are pretty high. I drive with a low-profile (two-inch) Roho... when I do forget to grab the cushion for the car, it's definitely a big difference in my transfer. Too lazy to go back inside for it, Ha!
    Little more difficult to get in/out for the transfer, when I'm not using the Roho. I'm T-10 level. It's way more comfy for driving also. I'm 6'2" and still have plenty of head room.
    Awesome, thanks! So what size ROHO did you purchase/use? I'm driving myself nuts right now trying to decide if I should get a cushion large enough to fit over the entire seat (covering the bolsters) or if I should get one just big enough to fit right between them. What would you do??

Quote Originally Posted by Tufelhunden View Post
    Awesome, thanks! So what size ROHO did you purchase/use? I'm driving myself nuts right now trying to decide if I should get a cushion large enough to fit over the entire seat (covering the bolsters) or if I should get one just big enough to fit right between them. What would you do??
    When I do sit in mine, w/o cushion, my hips barely grab at the bolsters. I have my Roho sit between the bolsters and it fills the seat are front to back. It?s grossly under pressure but it works awesome. No red marks on skin ever and that?s after sitting for as long as 4-5 hour trips, one way. I travel a lot when the car isn?t being stored for weather.

Quote Originally Posted by nick View Post
    When I do sit in mine, w/o cushion, my hips barely grab at the bolsters. I have my Roho sit between the bolsters and it fills the seat are front to back. It?s grossly under pressure but it works awesome. No red marks on skin ever and that?s after sitting for as long as 4-5 hour trips, one way. I travel a lot when the car isn?t being stored for weather.
    Excellent, bro . I will go with your recommendation. I'll see if I can measure out a cushion which will "fill" the gap in between the bolsters. Once I get it in there, I'll be sure to come back here and post pictures and give a review just in case someone else hits this thread up in the future.