Thread: A good clean out

A good clean out

I have a colostomy and always wondered about doing a good clean out. Just like prepping for a colonoscopy. What are your thoughts? Good or bad?

Quote Originally Posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
    I have a colostomy and always wondered about doing a good clean out. Just like prepping for a colonoscopy. What are your thoughts? Good or bad?
    What is it that you wish to achieve by doing this? Do you irrigate your colostomy regularly?

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    What is it that you wish to achieve by doing this? Do you irrigate your colostomy regularly?
    That is it just a good cleansing. Irrigating only does the lower bowels.
    Last edited by HACKNSACK44; 01-20-2019 at 12:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
    That is it just a good cleansing. Irrigating only does the lower bowels.
    What benefit will you get from a "good cleansing?" Do you have constipation?

Some people with normal bowel function get a colonic, but there is actually no proven benefit to that kind of cleaning. And, it may actually be harmful and irritating to the intestinal tissues, which could cause complications in your routine.

Run this by your gastroenterologist and follow is advise based on his knowledge of your situation and the type of colostomy you have.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    What benefit will you get from a "good cleansing?" Do you have constipation?

Some people with normal bowel function get a colonic, but there is actually no proven benefit to that kind of cleaning. And, it may actually be harmful and irritating to the intestinal tissues, which could cause complications in your routine.

Run this by your gastroenterologist and follow is advise based on his knowledge of your situation and the type of colostomy you have.
    Will do. Thanks for the info.

Blog Entries
    I don’t remember exactly why, but after my most recent injury I got really empty. It was such a glorious feeling, feeling so flat and light. I couldn’t swallow for a while, so I think I must’ve just been having IVs, then liquid diet, then pur?ed. I each normally now, but I miss that feeling. I toyed sometimes with the idea of intermittent fasting, or at all liquid diet, but I like eating too much. But I wonder if the colostomy medicine, or vitamin C flash (which does the same thing) might re-create that feeling.

Fasting or liquid diet probably is the answer

For what purpose? There is no scientific evidence that a bowel "clean out" has any medical or health benefits, and repeated use can actual cause problems with both electrolyte balance and gut bacteria flora.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.