Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Quads what keeps you going?

Quote Originally Posted by MagikLair View Post
    I'll take it. I don't need the gorgeous woman part, I'll kindly settle for average or below average. That reminds me, after like 20 years. My female cousin was here and gave me a kiss on the cheek. I was like wow that's amazing. It felt so nice.. Human contact is very underrated. Anyhow SCI is difficult for everyone.. Best regards
    I'm totally not downplaying it nor taking it for granted... just pointing out how fucked up depression can be that even when you get things you want you're still somehow unhappy with some aspect. I probably annoy her with how much I pester her for physical contact and press to initiate it at times. I find the physical distance a chair creates very hard to deal with. Likely one of the hardest things

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RJC View Post
    I'm totally not downplaying it nor taking it for granted... just pointing out how fucked up depression can be that even when you get things you want you're still somehow unhappy with some aspect. I probably annoy her with how much I pester her for physical contact and press to initiate it at times. I find the physical distance a chair creates very hard to deal with. Likely one of the hardest things
    This is one of, if not the most, truly realistic comments for a quad dealing with life.

Blog Entries
    The aspect of physical contact missing in a quad's life can never be understated.
    It's enough for me to want to blow off this world in hopes the next one maybe better.

Blog Entries
    I'd trade years off this life for getting back a day or two of my former life. I live in profound sadness each day.

25 years next June. I've never been depressed. Just pissed off and how stupid this is.

16 years roughly. What keeps me going? Not giving up through all the suck. I consider myself lucky that I haven't had it as hard as others.

Blog Entries
    How anyone could not be depressed after having known what good life can be only then to experience this shit?

Blog Entries
    A day a single day of being normal I would trade the rest of my life off Just to have one single solitary day of my old life back.

My life as a C5 quad is better than I ever imagined it would be. After my injury 17 years ago, I went back to school to get a master's degree, started as an adjunct instructor, was hired full-time, earned my PhD, and am now an associate professor with tenure. I married my "super wife" a few years ago and we have a beautiful home overlooking the lake where we were married. Yes, my life would be better if I wasn't a quad, but it's still pretty wonderful.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

31 yrs. post for me and I suffer from serious anxiety and depression. What keeps me going is poker. I'm lucky to live in L.A. which has a plethora of card rooms. That and my job keeps me busy, but to be honest I'm just tired. Tired of the grind.