Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Quads what keeps you going?

Quote Originally Posted by cjo View Post
    My life as a C5 quad is better than I ever imagined it would be. After my injury 17 years ago, I went back to school to get a master's degree, started as an adjunct instructor, was hired full-time, earned my PhD, and am now an associate professor with tenure. I married my "super wife" a few years ago and we have a beautiful home overlooking the lake where we were married. Yes, my life would be better if I wasn't a quad, but it's still pretty wonderful.
    That's awesome

Quote Originally Posted by badjefft View Post
    31 yrs. post for me and I suffer from serious anxiety and depression. What keeps me going is poker. I'm lucky to live in L.A. which has a plethora of card rooms. That and my job keeps me busy, but to be honest I'm just tired. Tired of the grind.
    Your life sounds a lot like mine. 38yrs post quad. Works 6 days a week. If i am lucky and have time I hit the poker room on Sunday for a couple of hours. And everything feels like a grind. I can't even get excited to hit the strip club. But at the same time, I don't feel like i'm depressed.

I always hate to hear about someone suffering with depression. I have been there and it's very real. I was injured at the age of 19 and like many (if not most) I spent many of my early days wishing that I had not survived. I went on to build a company and a pretty spectacular life. In 2014, debilitating nerve pain forced me to sell the company. Immediately after, I reached another very low point where the pain was so bad that I didn't want to live through it. In more recent years, the pain has been better controlled but is still difficult. I struggle right now because I really don't know what my purpose is. I'm still working on some things to better manage this pain with the hope of starting another company. However, that has yet to materialize.

I have a DNR on file. My intent is to allow myself to pass on if anything happens. At the same time, I consider myself a fairly happy guy. The degree of happiness goes up and down with my pain level. Because of this, I've had to learn techniques that allow me to enjoy the moments that are good and just get through the moments that aren't so good.

There's a book called "the how of happiness" that I highly recommend. The author is a psychology professor that takes a deep dive into the topic of happiness. She used scientific methodologies to study why some individuals thrive in others do not regardless of the hardships they endure. it's very interesting and provides specific information that I have found useful for the improvement of my own happiness.

I truly wish you the best!
    Jason

C5/6 Complete - water skiing accident 1994.

I'm a C2/3 vent dependent quad and just hit 34 years post injury, I was three. This winter has been tough and I have been feeling the depressed mood as well. Seeing everything my family goes through to help me, bad nurses, and being stuck inside for months all adds up. I very much understand the feeling of wanting to die and looking forward to it. Searching ancient threads with my name will find a long battle from years ago.

When you get in the mindset that everything is against you, it's very difficult to see anything good. With my battles, I learned to look to God first and how I can still serve in this world. A lot of people don't know much about SCI, so I started going out and talking with kids at grade schools and medical students at local colleges. At 25 years post, you've experienced quite a bit and I'm sure have a lot to tell.

I came here tonight after a bad evening and know this life of SCI stinks. We're here to help and each person learns to cope in their own way.
    C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.