Thread: gentamicin shortage??

gentamicin shortage??

nurses have you heard anything about this. apparently big mfr recall. pushing copay up big time. had to go out of network to get it for last 3 mths. no cvs in my state could get it.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    nurses have you heard anything about this. apparently big mfr recall. pushing copay up big time. had to go out of network to get it for last 3 mths. no cvs in my state could get it.
    The only shortage reference I have found on current drug shortage lists for gentamicin is an ophthalmologic ointment. But, seems to me that every few years there is a shortage of gentamicin in one form or another. During my search, I found shortages in 2011 and 2017, plus this shortage in Dec. 2018 of the ointment.

Blog Entries
    I had to wait a few days extra for my local walgreens to order some this month but it was the same price. My co-pays are fixed by drug tier.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    I had to wait a few days extra for my local walgreens to order some this month but it was the same price. My co-pays are fixed by drug tier.
    mine are fixed in network too but different out of network. also can only get 30 day supply out of network. 90 day at my cvs cost same for 30 or 90 day supply. no regular pharmacy near me can get it, i had to get it at a summa hospital pharmacy.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    The only shortage reference I have found on current drug shortage lists for gentamicin is an ophthalmologic ointment. But, seems to me that every few years there is a shortage of gentamicin in one form or another. During my search, I found shortages in 2011 and 2017, plus this shortage in Dec. 2018 of the ointment.
    thx not sure whats up. i get the little vials.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

Not that I know of but may just be very temporary. CWO
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

all, im running into this shortage again even at hospital pharmacy. any suggestions? they could only fill 1/2 my rx and hoping to fill remainder b4 im out. im usin the 2ml/80mg vials
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

Have you tried a compounding pharmacy? They could mix the solution for you, which is the safest way to make the solution (under sterile conditions). If you are going to mix it yourself, this is the proper method:

https://www.seattlechildrens.org/pdf/PE1769.pdf

It is not listed on the FDA shortage list, but I did find it on a Pfizer (the primary USA manufacturer) document as unavailable until 6/2019.

https://www.pfizerinjectables.com/resources (bottom of page, Availability Report pdf)

Ask your pharmacist if they have tried purchasing from these sources which may have a supply:

https://www.americanpharmawholesale....pira-worldwide

https://www.pharmacompass.com/ndc-0409-1207-03

https://allmedtech.com/gesu802mlb25.html

https://mms.mckesson.com/product/408...ra-00409120703

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

thx kld.............i'll suggest these.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

I haven't heard of it either, but obviously there is a problem.

Sorry I can not be of more help.

ckf