Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: UCSD Scientists Demonstrate Use of 3D Printing with Stem Cells

Quote Originally Posted by Moe View Post
    To me it sounds just as realistic as the head transplant article.
    why not just inject the growth factors alone to the original cord, in most sci cases there's no 'gap' to fill in a 3D printed cord unless you cut and 'glue' both ends, even if succes printing a real cord, makes no sense to fuse 2 cuts instead of 1... Media hype at its best, thats why rats are used since they cant defend themselves IMO. Great marketing technique to free publicity to raise funds that may lead nowhere except money in the pockets... just pisses me off
    That's still all you've got?

You're lonely, desperate for attention and come to CareCure to post silly redundant responses because you enjoy reading the media about the SCI research but don't understand any of it nor the biology of the cord. Or, is it the trolling you find entertaining?

Repairing a spinal cord is more complicated than filling it with WD-40 and frosting it with glue. If it was easy, those defenseless rats you talk about could have strapped on new limbs with duct tape, saved their money and started wealthy rodent colonies instead.

The article I just posted here in the SCI Nurse's thread from January was from the NIH Directors blog. Dr. Collins is not fundraising, he's reporting on research already funded by National Institute of Health in the U.S. He did not ask you for any Canadian money, so cry more.

Nobody here asked you anything and you're not a CC moderator to tell what to do neither. Nobody has to be lonely to share thoughts, so keep those ignorant comments to yourself.
    Actually, you DID ask. I'll continue to post articles/abstracts and comment on them whenever I please. You own nothing here.

If you can't post anything but the same old butt hurt topics to be pissed off about, then stop trolling my posts and launching childish tantrums when I post articles at the forum. The blubbering and nutty insults you post in all the threads have grown tiresome. You've paid for nothing, contributed nothing and you get nothing. Nobody posting information here at carecure owes you anything. That includes me. Get over it.

Too dangerous for human trials, over the years I learned not to believe everything the media publishes, no matter how much someone worships them by playing wannabe news anchor. Fundraising is all it matters to some and I find it discusting
    Someone is in dire need of a nap and dad burn discusting spell checker app...
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 06-11-2019 at 03:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GRAMMY View Post
    You're lonely and come to CareCure to post silliness because you enjoy reading the media about the SCI research but don't understand any of it nor the biology of the cord.

Repairing a spinal cord is more complicated than filling it with WD-40 and frosting it with glue. If it was easy, the defenseless rats could have strapped on new limbs with duct tape, saved their money and started wealthy rodent colonies instead.

The article I posted was from the NIH Directors blog. He's not fundraising, he's reporting on research already funded by National Institute of Health.
    Oh really, getting personal aren't we? This is not about you so you can stop butting-in playing news anchor to be relevant to sci research.

Stick to Unite to Fight (what your org is really supposedto do) , you're not even paralyzed so bug off with your wd-40 and glue and shame on your org, it's not what it used to be.

Nobody here asked you anything and you're not a CC moderator to tell what to do neither. Nobody has to be lonely to share thoughts, so keep those ignorant comments to yourself.
    Last edited by Moe; 06-10-2019 at 03:06 PM.
    "Talk without the support of action means nothing..."
    ― DaShanne Stokes

***Unite(D) to Fight Paralyses***

why not just inject the growth factors alone to the original cord, in most sci cases there's no 'gap' to fill in a 3D printed cord unless you cut and 'glue' both ends, even if succes printing a real cord, makes no sense to fuse 2 cuts instead of 1...
    I'm not so sure that this is all about the stem cells or growth factors, its might be about the way that they are put into the cord so that axons align properly (or at least go in the right direction).

Take a look at the pictures at the following link that shows the growth of the axons with the 3d printed scaffold and when the stem cells are put in without this method. You might be right that they won't align properly at each end, but isn't that what plasticity is all about? As long as there is a connection we can "learn" to make the connections work.

https://medschool.ucsd.edu/som/neuro...b-koffler.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by niallel View Post
    I'm not so sure that this is all about the stem cells or growth factors, its might be about the way that they are put into the cord so that axons align properly (or at least go in the right direction).

Take a look at the pictures at the following link that shows the growth of the axons with the 3d printed scaffold and when the stem cells are put in without this method. You might be right that they won't align properly at each end, but isn't that what plasticity is all about? As long as there is a connection we can "learn" to make the connections work.

https://medschool.ucsd.edu/som/neuro...b-koffler.aspx

In the context of spinal cord injury we also load scaffolds with neural stem cells that form a neuronal relay between host regenerating axons through the lesion site and into the caudal intact spinal cord.
    Axonal projections in the spinal cord are linearly organized into regions (fascicles) containing axons of related function. Motor systems are shown in green and sensory systems in blue. C, Corticospinal tract. Ru, Rubrospinal tract; Ra, Raphespinal tract; Ret,Reticulospinal tract; Pr, Propriospinal tract; ST, Spinothalamic tract; DC, dorsal column sensory axons. Channels are precisely printed in 3D space. Collaboration with Dr. Shaochen Chen, Deprtment of Nanoengineering, UCSD.

Hypothetical alignment and guidance of regenerating host axons and stem cell axons: Scaffold walls confine both host and stem cell axon growth to linear rostral-caudal planes. Thus, a lesioned host axon (e.g. CST, Rubroor Reticulospinal axons) regeneratesinto the scaffold and forms a synapse onto a stem cell neuron inside a channel, and the stem cell neuron in turn extends an axon out of the scaffold below the injury site (green lines) into the same white matter fasciculus below the lesion, guided by the microchannel architecture of the scaffold. The scaffold maintains the exact 3D coordinates throughout the lesion site, matching natural host architecture.

So would you say the take away from all of this is that this is a much better way of doing scaffolding?

They may or may not be using the best stem cells, and could enhance whatever they use with growth factors, but the real news is the 3d scaffolding?

Hey Niallel, yes I see your point, it sounds logical by the way they present it too... I'm still not convinced that this will ever work. by just cutting a minor incision to the cord to implant it will likely "disconect" good pathways, the cord can't even survive a bruise, an inflamation or even a minor swelling can kill a cord , I just not convinced that it can't be done without damaging the cord even more to insert the "implant"

Too dangerous for human trials, over the years I learned not to believe everything the media publishes, no matter how much someone worships them by playing wannabe news anchor. Fundraising is all it matters to some and I find it discusting
    Last edited by Moe; 06-10-2019 at 03:56 PM.
    ― DaShanne Stokes

----
    So would you say the take away from all of this is that this is a much better way of doing scaffolding?

A much better method of scaffold than all the others that have been tried over the last several decades. Each has had their own set of downfalls. This scaffold is unique in that each one is customized to an individual injury, channels help control the guidance of axons, it's stable and the scaffold is loaded with H9-NSC whereas other's have not been able to support the cells for a long period. Over 80% of the axons reach the distal site.

They may or may not be using the best stem cells, and could enhance whatever they use with growth factors, but the real news is the 3d scaffolding?

The stem cells they've settled on have been chosen after some 15 years of regeneration research and successes in this lab. So, yes, the real news is combining both an excellent scaffold and implanting the stem cells for a long lasting tissue integration. In essence, this strategy may be as good as any toward a regenerative chronic SCI therapy. (The InVivo scaffold is empty and only suited for acute injury). Perhaps this will make it over the finish line in the coming years.
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 06-10-2019 at 11:55 PM.

you still re-editing yesterday's responses??? it's not fair changing responses especially if they were allready responded...
    ― DaShanne Stokes

people can see the last editeddate in case you didn't knew...
    ― DaShanne Stokes

That's still all you've got?

You're lonely, desperate for attention and come to CareCure to post silly redundant responses because you enjoy reading the media about the SCI research but don't understand any of it nor the biology of the cord. Or, is it the trolling you find entertaining?

Repairing a spinal cord is more complicated than filling it with WD-40 and frosting it with glue. If it was easy, those defenseless rats you talk about could have strapped on new limbs with duct tape, saved their money and started wealthy rodent colonies instead.

The article I just posted here in the SCI Nurse's thread from January was from the NIH Directors blog. Dr. Collins is not fundraising, he's reporting on research already funded by National Institute of Health in the U.S. He did not ask you for any Canadian money, so cry more.

Actually, you DID ask. I'll continue to post articles/abstracts and comment on them whenever I please. You own nothing here.

If you can't post anything but the same old butt hurt topics to be pissed off about, then stop trolling my posts and launching childish tantrums when I post articles at the forum. The blubbering and nutty insults you post in all the threads have grown tiresome. You've paid for nothing, contributed nothing and you get nothing. Nobody posting information here at carecure owes you anything. That includes me. Get over it.

Someone is in dire need of a nap and dad burn discusting spell checker app...

Why did you re-edited yesterday's entire conversation Grammy? Doesn't atch with anything in the original conversation anymore Not really fair... This wasn't about you, I don't understand the personal attacks that are irrelevant. Sorry about the typos you mentioned, my left eye is nearly blind plus I'm a quad, so I make mistakes sometimes, no need to tell me what to do, again nobody asked you.

Dr. Collins is not fundraising, he's reporting on research already funded by National Institute of Health in the U.S. He did not ask you for any Canadian money, so cry more.
    makes sense... "not fundraising cause it was allready funded..."
    Last edited by Moe; 06-11-2019 at 10:41 AM.
    ― DaShanne Stokes