Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is your preferred cushion for showering

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    I use a Supracore that I widened the bottom holes out. The honeycombs are hollow but their bottom is closed except for a small pinhole. I make this hole as wide as the honeycomb column so water flows straight through.
    That's a very interesting idea.

I use a Supracor Classic for showering, but I didn't punch holes in it. I do some weight shifts after the shower to try and get as much of the water as I can out, but it does create a bit of a mess when I transfer out of the chair to my bed. I have to get a waterproof mat for my carpet.

My concern about punching holes in the cushion is that I'm often on this cushion for as much as an hour, sometime two hours if my schedule gets confused. I'm not sure about the effect of doing this on the pressure relieving function of the cushion.

Also, of course the bottom sling of my Quickie (on which the Supracor rests) is solid. Is yours also solid there?

I'd be interested if you can send a picture of the bottom of the cushion. Also, what did you use to punch the holes?

Does the Supracor cushion dry out relatively quickly after showering? I don't shower in my wheelchair. I've always transferred to a shower bench. I plan on sitting on the cushion on top of the shower bench. Seems like people who use Supracor cushions like them a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by tarantella View Post
    Does the Supracor cushion dry out relatively quickly after showering? I don't shower in my wheelchair. I've always transferred to a shower bench. I plan on sitting on the cushion on top of the shower bench. Seems like people who use Supracor cushions like them a lot.
    No, the Supracor takes a day to dry out after a shower.

I use two Supracors, one for the shower and one for normal use, and swap them out. Maybe Oddity's idea in the previous message of punching holes in the Supracor would speed this up.

A shower bench is much better than a wheelchair if you can use the bench safely. I used to use a shower bench but eventually I couldn't manage the transfer and had to switch to using a wheelchair in the shower. The problem with using a wheelchair in the shower (at least, one's normal wheelchair) is that the chair gets soapy, parts rust faster, it's not as sanitary for you or the wheelchair, and it drips everywhere. But if you have to use a wheelchair in the shower, the Supracor does work.

Blog Entries
    I just jabbed then out with a sharp pencil and trimmed the little frayed edges with scissors. It didn't affect the structural nature of the cushion, IMO, from a pressure management perspective. It does bend easier though.

It dries better than stock but still needs washing at least once a month in the washer on the sanitizer/allergen setting to fight back soap scum and dead skin build-up (and mildew smells). It doesn't dry out perfectly and the plastic is prone to mildew in my high humidity bathroom environment.

Quote Originally Posted by xsfxsf View Post
    That's a very interesting idea.

I use a Supracor Classic for showering, but I didn't punch holes in it. I do some weight shifts after the shower to try and get as much of the water as I can out, but it does create a bit of a mess when I transfer out of the chair to my bed. I have to get a waterproof mat for my carpet.

My concern about punching holes in the cushion is that I'm often on this cushion for as much as an hour, sometime two hours if my schedule gets confused. I'm not sure about the effect of doing this on the pressure relieving function of the cushion.

Also, of course the bottom sling of my Quickie (on which the Supracor rests) is solid. Is yours also solid there?

I'd be interested if you can send a picture of the bottom of the cushion. Also, what did you use to punch the holes?
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments