Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Getting back into your wheelchair from the floor

I picked up one of these:https://www.harborfreight.com/18-in-...ool-62515.html
    I still have to lift/crawl onto it, and up to my chair, but not as high, and it is very portable.

As someone else noted, you can use your wheelchair cushion on the floor so you are starting a little higher, and going into the wheelchair seat, which will be a little lower (no cushion). And then go somewhere to transfer out of the chair, put the cushion back in and transfer back into the chair.

Also, I have used one of those storage crate thingy things (put something on top to soften the ridges), a totebox, and a camping cooler when there was no sofa, chair, or stepstool handy.

If you are on the ground outside and desperate, work to lower the chair, ie, dig holes for the wheels.
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    For intentional usage:

https://www.harborfreight.com/500-lbs-capacity-hydraulic-table-cart-60730.html

Not too portable, but if you really need to get to the floor and back, it works
    I went to HF today to check this. When it is all the way down its still 9 inches high. How are you getting on it from the floor?

Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    I went to HF today to check this. When it is all the way down its still 9 inches high. How are you getting on it from the floor?
    A heck of a lot easier than some 23" off the floor, lol. Chunk of wheelchair, etc on one arm, the other arm on the table itself, works ok for me.

Blog Entries
    I am 6'2", it is difficult but I always used a 5 gal bucket on the free hand side and grabbed the chair frame at the seat edge. Removing the cushion until you get seated in the sling makes it a whole lot easier. Then wrestle the cushion under your butt. I worked on a neighbor's vehicle yesterday and placed my powerchair minus the roho beside of my manual chair. I was on a creeper between them. Put my right hand on the manual downtube near the seat and put my left hand on the leg tube near the powerchair seat and raised up carefully one arm at a time and it was easier than any time in 23 years. Be certain to have locks on or get someone to help you practice a handful of times until you are confident. I did the 5 gal bucket trick after going down a ramp and headlong into the ground breaking both my legs behind the knees. No one around, took me 5 minutes to reach the bucket 5 feet away and get it to me, 3 minutes to get in the chair, go to the car and drive to dr to get them fixed.

Always check youtube. There are a variety of techniques demonstrated from which you can choose what most resembles your own capabilities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XPB2jWScIM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOPgupwnpF4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0Wdj5Szwac

This last one I consider particularly useful since the girl in the video is NOT a big guy with loads of upper body muscle development. In addition she is using a cheap hospital chair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH22Yt2ZaWs

This last guy, Dan Junet, is complete yet makes it look so easy! Somewhat different technique. Obviously the key is to practice a lot, then yours will look easy too. If you are overweight practice even more and you will lose a few pounds. Also, Dan Junet does not use brakes on his chair. Possible but I am not one to bother learning all required to living without brakes.
    Last edited by Tetracyclone; 01-22-2019 at 03:33 PM. Reason: added a detail

Quote Originally Posted by CapnGimp View Post
    I am 6'2", it is difficult but I always used a 5 gal bucket on the free hand side and grabbed the chair frame at the seat edge. Removing the cushion until you get seated in the sling makes it a whole lot easier. Then wrestle the cushion under your butt. I worked on a neighbor's vehicle yesterday and placed my powerchair minus the roho beside of my manual chair. I was on a creeper between them. Put my right hand on the manual downtube near the seat and put my left hand on the leg tube near the powerchair seat and raised up carefully one arm at a time and it was easier than any time in 23 years. Be certain to have locks on or get someone to help you practice a handful of times until you are confident. I did the 5 gal bucket trick after going down a ramp and headlong into the ground breaking both my legs behind the knees. No one around, took me 5 minutes to reach the bucket 5 feet away and get it to me, 3 minutes to get in the chair, go to the car and drive to dr to get them fixed.
    Gaaaah!

I have experienced this scenario. A cell phone is a necessity. Keep one on your chair at all times (mine is in fanny pack, hanging from joystick mount). When alone and walking (goofy and slow, very short distance), I put fanny pack strap on my wrist and cane or I hold it with my teeth.
    A land line is my preferred 911 source at home. If for some reason you can't speak clearly, they know your exact location instantly. When in bed, a land line phone is on my seat cushion which is covered by a towel. Since bed to chair is where many falls happen, I found this useful many times. Slipped off bed, boom, on the floor. I pulled the towel from seat cushion and the phone came with it. I put towel under my hips while I wait. I keep front door unlocked and tell them which door they can enter.
    To avoid this happening again, I put a shower anti slip mat beside my bed, cane leaning on chair, and walker beside chair. Since using this combination I haven't slipped off bed.
    After C2-5 Laminectomy I haven't been able to get back in chair by myself. Also my shoulders are toast (both need replacement).

Getting off the floor

https://www.raizer.com/

I couldn't find the thread about getting off the floor, but found this thing. They have distributors in the US. I'll have to see what it costs.

That's awesome. Please post back price. My guess..... $1,500. Let hope it's not ridiculous.