Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Getting back into your wheelchair from the floor

Quote Originally Posted by RJC View Post
    is it possible to hoyer yourself?
    Not with most floor based lifts. Some can do it with a ceiling track lift if you have both a lifting and lateral motor system, and a wireless remote, but you are limited to being able to access it from where you have track, unless you can crawl or drag yourself to that area.

Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post
    To continue with the theme of saving shoulders:
    1) Keep charged cell phone in a holster on wheelchair.
    2) Tap 911 for assistance
    3) Crawl/slide to door and unlock it.
    4) Place cushion/s to protect skin while waiting approximately 15 minutes
    5) Smile while thinking how the EMS are discussing their day with their kids at dinnertime.
    In my area, if you call 911 to get picked up from a fall too many times in a short period, you start getting a bill of around $800 for that type of call.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I have an air mattress that lifts me up. Found it/figured it out by accident. I was at a friends, that had a queen size air mattress for guests. I was getting up in the morning and moved my chair close to the bed. I hooked the air plug and woosh I was on the floor. I put the plug back in, turned on the air pump (battery operated) and it lifted me up in a couple minutes. Got in my chair, no problem. I picked one up at wally world for $79 when I got home. Haven't tried it on purpose yet, but I don't see why it won't work again.

I use a Drive Medical bath lift. I put a boat cushion on it for padding and the additional height, then raise myself up to chair level for the transfer. Fortunately, when I've needed it, someone has been around to bring the lift to me.

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    Just checked the price for the Para Ladder.

$1,147.50

One could build something like this with PVC piping for $50.
    I remember checking the price on that thing and laughing out loud. Insane.
    I assume it folds up small or something like that to justify the price.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

For intentional usage:

https://www.harborfreight.com/500-lbs-capacity-hydraulic-table-cart-60730.html

Not too portable, but if you really need to get to the floor and back, it works

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    For intentional usage:

https://www.harborfreight.com/500-lbs-capacity-hydraulic-table-cart-60730.html

Not too portable, but if you really need to get to the floor and back, it works
    This was my original idea. Just wanted to see what others had to say. Thanks.

You'll really enjoy cleaning the copious amount of packing grease too! lol. I was thinking of making a better jacking handle on mine too, but just reaching down to jack works ok, so never changed that.

I have a ParaLadder. I got it several years ago from the developer for less than $800, maybe six hundred? We keep it under the bed. Light, well designed, and sturdy; easy to erect.

It sucks when these mom and pop businesses get picked up by health-care retailers.
    I've needed it three? times in as many years. Works great although it's still a workout.

Alternately, I've crawled and pushed my chair over to my dumbwaiter-rope pull elevator and lifted me sitting to chair height.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

I'd say scoot your ass over to a higher area, or create one. Maybe get some pillows to transfer on to, and then up to the couch, and then your chair. Of course, the location of your fall will change your options.
    Acck! Invest $1100 for a device like that? That's a big hard pass from me,
    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

Quote Originally Posted by Crappler View Post
    I'd say scoot your ass over to a higher area, or create one. Maybe get some pillows to transfer on to, and then up to the couch, and then your chair. Of course, the location of your fall will change your options.
    Acck! Invest $1100 for a device like that? That's a big hard pass from me,
    This is what I do presently. I turn my Ride cushion upside down. That gives me a 4" lift off the floor. That's makes it easier to pull myself up onto a sofa chair. Good thing about this method is that I always have the cushion with me. If you rely on pillows, step stools, or any other hardware, then you won't always have it with you when you need it.

Having said that, even with a 4" lift it is still a struggle, especially at the end of a long day. Hence, I am looking for something that gives a little extra height.

By the way, here's a little tip to ease any difficult transfer. Strap your legs together at the knees with a lashing strap (attach it to the chair so it's always available). This prevents the legs from frogging out as you do the transfer. The knees staying together provide a strong fulcrum. As you lean your body over your knees, your butt automatically goes up in the air. That's a huge advantage. Without the strap holding the knees together, your legs may frog out as you lean forward. Hence, you loose the fulcrum effect, which puts significantly more stress on the shoulders. I find the strap can make or break a difficult transfer.
    Attached Images Attached Images